Discuss How useful is a level 2 in electrical installations going to be in my situation? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So I've been wanting to enter the electrical trade for quite some time, I'll try and keep my query as brief and as straightforward as possible :

I'm 32 years old with no formal electrical qualifications, or industry experience. I'm essentially from an academic background, I've previously been to university etc and gained a useless degree.

I started an application for an apprenticeship - it's been a fairly rigorous process and the training providers who assess and train apprentices on behalf of regional employers have made quite a fuss over the fact that employers prefer school leavers etc. But anyway, I've passed the initial application process, the math exam and the initial interview, there are two more stages to complete before potentially receiving an offer.
I understand my chances aren't very good so I've been looking at other options - in particular, I've been wondering if it would be worth funding myself through a level 2 in electrical installations if this apprenticeship application should fail.. I've enquired with the college in question about this route and they've told me that if I wished to embark upon a level three in electrical installations after this, then I would need to be assessed as an apprentice before I could start.

My understanding so far is this : a level 2 on it's own is no good, at best it will pave the way onto further study via the apprenticeship route. But if I'm '' too old/past it'' etc then is there any point? Would it improve my chances of gaining any work or opportunities to say, become an electrician' s mate? If you were in my situation and desperate to enter into the trade, would you go about it a different way? I've basically been losing sleep over it.

you could do level 2 evenings at college while still earning in your current job.get a cscs card to allow you on site and try the agencies and job sites like indeed for electrician's mate jobs. then go on to level 3.

Shame your not in Aus mate, They love adult apprentices here. They believe adult apprentices are more reliable, have more nouse and use their phones less.
Shame the UK still believe in the archaic school leaver apprentice, who really doesn’t give a ----. Good luck in your endeavours. PS if you have a degree maybe look at companies willing to train you as a technician. Age does not apply.

If you want to become an electrician then look at this link;
In that link you can read about the various types of electrician entrance. This is the only accepted way to become an electrician so if you are thinking of a short course, check against the criteria in the link. There have been a lot of crestfallen persons on here who have spent thousands and got nothing for their efforts. So you need to discriminate exactly what is on offer and whether it will meet the entry requirements in the link. These methods are set by the de facto authority on education/training within the electrical industry. Also you need to work in the trade while training, like driving a car you cannot do it all virtually you need hands on to relate the theory to the practice, to which end follow the above advice.

Thankyou so much for the replies guys, can't express how much I appreciate the help and info -

I agree KennyKen, they lifted the upper age limit so it isn't exclusive to school-leavers (my heart lept a couple of years ago when I found that out) - but the funding arrangements means that most employers in their right mind won't recruit a mature apprentice. Still, I'll see it through to the bitter end as a slim chance is still a chance I guess.

Thankyou for the link Vortigern, that was the single most useful thing I've read today. The level 2 diploma in electrical installations was the one I've been focusing my attention at (through my local tech college) so I'm sort of glad I'm on the right track there.
I'd also be eligible for a learner loan for level 3(but not for level 2-go figure... I can afford level 2 on my own though at least) Steering well clear of those quick 20 day course that promise the earth. I can't wait for things to return to normal (whatever normal will look like) so that I can arrange a face to face appointment with a tutor at the college to discuss further. Regret not doing this 15 years ago!

Hey Nomad, if it makes you feel any better, I’m going in for the Electrical Installation Level 2 course at 34 years old. I’ve also got an academic background but have decided to pursue a more stable means of earning a living (and keeps me out of office work!). I guess the coronavirus situation had me seriously weighing up my options - and I've always wanted to be an electrician.

If you really want to get into the electrical trade proper you need to learn hands on from someone decent.
It’s such a vast industry with so much to learn , but a year or so working for a decent sparks is invaluable imo

I have dipped in and out the trade since I left school , my dad was a sparky so he had contacts in the trade.
i have met quite a few people 30+who took up the trade late after a career change.
one guy I know used to be a sport centre gym manager who had absolutely no electrical background but went to evening college in his late 20s. He set up his own domestic installer business and 5 years latter employees about 10 sparks. I used to do loads of work for him when he first was trying to get off the ground and he needed help on jobs like rewires...

it can be done

Our situations/backgrounds are very similar! I start my course soon, in September. Can't wait. Keep us posted on your progress? Will you be seeking work as a mate/labourer alongside your studying? All the best of luck anyhow.

I'm also starting my course in September. As for work, I've managed to switch to part-time at my current job, so for a while at least I should be able to fund the course without too much trouble. As for becoming a mate/labourer, I'm going to be keeping my eyes peeled. I'm waiting until I can sit down with someone face-to-face and weigh up my options. I still have to pay the bills, so I want to balance it as best I can. That said, I really want to get hands-on experience in whatever way I can.

I'll keep you updated if I have any more ideas. I'm hoping to phone a few people up at some point and simply tell them exactly what I'm trying to do... In fact, that's why I ended up on here; I've been obsessively reading everything I can to get a good grasp at it before I start in September.

Nope, not got the funds for that. Was a struggle just to pay for lv2/3 and the company I'm at isn't fussed either. If anything it'll be 2391 next, but not for at least another year

Weren't you eligible for the student finance for level 3?I'm self funding level 2 but I can obtain a loan for level 3 (didn't think it was possible at first as I've already got student loans from doing a useless degree years ago)
[automerge]1597490540[/automerge]
Nice one, that's basically my plan too - I know quite a few people who are in the electrical trade now (retired sparks, electrical engineers etc) who have been quite helpful so far with advice etc. I'm hoping with a bit more prodding and contact building that I can get the opportunity to 'help out' at some point to get a bit of experience.
If you're college is anything like mine, there may be an opportunity for work experience too I guess. I know the college I'm attending has very strong links with local industries and the town I live in is an industrial/'trade heavy' town. I swear everyone is an engineer, a plumber or a spark) so it's not unusual for people to secure work through the college itself. Granted, I'm not expecting an easy ride given age/circumstances and Covid but it's still nice to dream of rolling straight out of college and swiftly into a mate job haha.

I'm also starting my course in September. As for work, I've managed to switch to part-time at my current job, so for a while at least I should be able to fund the course without too much trouble. As for becoming a mate/labourer, I'm going to be keeping my eyes peeled. I'm waiting until I can sit down with someone face-to-face and weigh up my options. I still have to pay the bills, so I want to balance it as best I can. That said, I really want to get hands-on experience in whatever way I can.

I'll keep you updated if I have any more ideas. I'm hoping to phone a few people up at some point and simply tell them exactly what I'm trying to do... In fact, that's why I ended up on here; I've been obsessively reading everything I can to get a good grasp at it before I start in September.

Last edited:

@electricwizard Can you give us an uodate about how your electrician career is going??

So I've been wanting to enter the electrical trade for quite some time, I'll try and keep my query as brief and as straightforward as possible :

I'm 32 years old with no formal electrical qualifications, or industry experience. I'm essentially from an academic background, I've previously been to university etc and gained a useless degree.

I started an application for an apprenticeship - it's been a fairly rigorous process and the training providers who assess and train apprentices on behalf of regional employers have made quite a fuss over the fact that employers prefer school leavers etc. But anyway, I've passed the initial application process, the math exam and the initial interview, there are two more stages to complete before potentially receiving an offer.
I understand my chances aren't very good so I've been looking at other options - in particular, I've been wondering if it would be worth funding myself through a level 2 in electrical installations if this apprenticeship application should fail.. I've enquired with the college in question about this route and they've told me that if I wished to embark upon a level three in electrical installations after this, then I would need to be assessed as an apprentice before I could start.

My understanding so far is this : a level 2 on it's own is no good, at best it will pave the way onto further study via the apprenticeship route. But if I'm '' too old/past it'' etc then is there any point? Would it improve my chances of gaining any work or opportunities to say, become an electrician' s mate? If you were in my situation and desperate to enter into the trade, would you go about it a different way? I've basically been losing sleep over it.
Just go for it pal im 54 years old and went to collage in 2018 starting at level 2 I have now just finished my level 3 the collage have employed me as a technition in electrical installation mid way through my level three so dont give up hope i am 22 years older than you thanks and good luck
kenny
[automerge]1597609456[/automerge]
Hi i am 54 years old i went to collage in 2018 for my level 2 in electrical installation deploma i passed that and went for my level 3 half way through my level 3 the collage offerd me a job as a technition in electrical so i grabbed it but still doing my level three at the same time i have just passed my level 3 now and the collage have asked me if i want to be an instructor now the pay will be around 22k so all i am saying is go with your hart i am 22 years older than yourself if i can do it anyone can good luck pal hope you get what you want

Last edited:

Can you give us an update?How's your electrician careear going? cheers

Reply to How useful is a level 2 in electrical installations going to be in my situation? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net