Discuss How would you code this on eicr fuse on neutral line in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Came accross this doing an eicr. How would you code this and the lighting circuits for the house were fed from this. Its obviously at least a c2 if not c1 but ive got to report on it so does it need a separate test results sheet? Its got a 15 amp bs1361 fuse in line and neutral. My thoughts are do the test sheet as normal and just put the observstions down for the iso lator, neutral fuse and oversized fuse ?

Also i cant fo any remidial work yey as its going through the house sale

Attachments

• 20160311_111237.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 245
fused neutrals is a C2 at least. those unsheathed cables are also a C2. write it up.

Don't take this the wrong way mate, but is this EICR part of the documentation for the house purchase? your profile has you down as a DIYer, do you have any formal electrical qualifications or experience?

Didnt even realise. Had this account 4 years from when i was still in apprenticeship. Only been on my own for 3 years and never come accross this in working order before always been disconected. Cant test the circuits either as there is no earth. So i have the observations down but what about listing the circuits? Would it be a separate test result sheet that has the lighting with bs1361 15a fuse or just leave it them off and put it down as observations ?

Fatgreeny09 could please change your occupation status please.

Go to Settings (top of the page) then to edit profile (left hand side). 2nd option down :wink:

Didnt even realise. Had this account 4 years from when i was still in apprenticeship. Only been on my own for 3 years and never come accross this in working order before always been disconected. Cant test the circuits either as there is no earth. So i have the observations down but what about listing the circuits? Would it be a separate test result sheet that has the lighting with bs1361 15a fuse or just leave it them off and put it down as observations ?

Looking at the pictures I can only say what a b---- up needs to be sorted ASAP IMO. I would tell your client the dangers of leaving something like that live, and make it safe until he/she agrees for the remedial work, I know it's not normally done that way, but you would be the last person having any dealings with it and God forbid anyone gets hurt or worse still killed, they would be onto you like flies on Dogs do dos

Last edited:
Looking at the pictures I can only say what a b---- up needs to be sorted ASAP IMO. I would tell your client the dangers of leaving something like that live, and make it safe until he/she agrees for the remedial work, I know it's not normally done that way, but you would be the last person having any dealings with it and God forbid anyone gets hurt or worse still killed, they would be onto you like flies on Dogs do dos

I should have mentioned it is for a house sale. Nobody is living there at the mo but it will be hetting sorted as soon as it sells. Just need to report for now

Not the best work I grant you but nothing there that wasn't pretty standard in its day, there must be thousands just like it still in service. Agreed C2 for single insulation and unlinked OPD in neutral, if there's any copper showing then I'm with Pete on a C1. The fuse box casing looks earthed by that bare 7/.029 and one of the T+Es has its CPC half-heartedly twisted around it; any fixtures on the lighting circuit that actually need the CPC? 15A might be OK for circuit depending on cable size / method / fixtures needing fusing down to 6A e.g. SBC.

Does the splitter really have BS1361 (cartridge) fuses? Would be interested to see pic of inside if it does, normally DP-fused C/I splitters like this are rewireable / BS3036. Coolex was a brand name of the United Electrical Co. in Brum BTW.

What catches my eye though right at the top of the pic is a horizontally mounted unenclosed bakelite 'Slydlok' fuseholder. If it's live I guess that's another C2 as it has live parts accessible without the use of a tool when the fuse is unclipped, which the Coolex fuse box should not due to the interlocked switch.

I was led to belive during my apprenticeship that any type of fuse on a neutral was a breach of EWR. As such, wouldn't this make it a C1 as it's potentially dangerous and a breach of regs?

C2 for the fused neutral but in a way it's only 'potentially potentially' dangerous. Until it blows, it does no harm to anybody and might just as well be a solid chunk of brass. As it can only blow due to overload, not earth fault, in many situations it's unlikely ever to blow. If it does, it's still no more dangerous than a broken connection in the neutral which poses no risk to a sensible person who isolates the circuit to investigate. Only someone blundering in assuming the circuit is dead without isolating or testing will get stung by the 'dead but still live' circuit.

Reply to How would you code this on eicr fuse on neutral line in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net