Discuss I got the job! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

nobody's yet mentioned how many hours involved moving furniture, etc. this can add considerably to the time taken.

Wade,

Well done, first contract under your belt, I was nervous my first rewire! (Long time ago)

Why dont you employ 616 to do it for you and just stay in bed?

Pay for him and his mates to stay in the local premier inn for 1 night.

Couple of grand profit!

Take that man at his word, I will certainly bear him in mind for my next rewire.

Last edited:
I think it's a bit harsh trying to take a pop at the lad when we're all congratulating him - you had a first rewire one time in your life and I bet you had reservations too.

As for prices of rewires, no-one is being ripped off by sham rates down south - people tend to forget it costs us a heck of a lot more to live down here than up north. And there's nowt wrong with a bit o profit. Or did you plan to work for free?

i cant see how anyone could take offence at verns post,it was a tongue in cheek remark,and basically saying prices are much cheaper up north..chill people..:wub:

I often watch rogue traders and do wonder if people like that exist, i now how true that is

Almost ÂŁ5000 for a rewire is a complete joke, i honestly could do a decent certified job for half that price, and still be happy at the profit, i do beleve in quality, but if you work hard enough you can complete a rewire in a day day&half,

Tenant moves all furniture into middle of room, we have an apprentice chasing out with a machine then cleaning up, and 2 sparks wiring and 2nd fixing

Im seriously considering looking for work down south if you can get away with prices like that, 2 rewires per week and have the rest off work, id be considerbly well off in no amount of time.

No harm in working hard to get a job done is there? some will most probs say the work would be not up to standard, but i would gladly invite anyone to come see a rewire we have completed, lift the boards etc... you wont find a lot wrong at all

Rewired a rather large bungalow around 10 weeks back, ÂŁ1700 final price, materials cost around ÂŁ400, worked 8am-6pm, two electricians and one labourer

Labourer on ÂŁ100 day rate, ÂŁ600 each electrician for ONE days work

Job was all plastered up, carpets down, furniture back

I often watch rogue traders and do wonder if people like that exist, i now how true that is

Almost ÂŁ5000 for a rewire is a complete joke, i honestly could do a decent certified job for half that price, and still be happy at the profit, i do beleve in quality, but if you work hard enough you can complete a rewire in a day day&half,

Tenant moves all furniture into middle of room, we have an apprentice chasing out with a machine then cleaning up, and 2 sparks wiring and 2nd fixing

Im seriously considering looking for work down south if you can get away with prices like that, 2 rewires per week and have the rest off work, id be considerbly well off in no amount of time.

No harm in working hard to get a job done is there? some will most probs say the work would be not up to standard, but i would gladly invite anyone to come see a rewire we have completed, lift the boards etc... you wont find a lot wrong at all

its doable vern,train down from the central,into london,sleep on the job or a b&b and back,might be worth looking into.me and trev might come too..tho london is way way more expensive than up here,down there you pay 250k for a parking space,we get a big 4 bed detatched up here..id never swap down there for up here...

its doable vern,train down from the central,into london,sleep on the job or a b&b and back,might be worth looking into.me and trev might come too..tho london is way way more expensive than up here,down there you pay 250k for a parking space,we get a big 4 bed detatched up here..id never swap down there for up here...

Is that before or after you've travelled to a site survey beforehand, paid your congestion charge, ÂŁ40+ for a stop in the NCP.....etc. Not spoiling for a scrap, I rarely even work in London, just making a point. All that glistens isn't gold. The place I lived before, my neighbour sold his parking space - for ÂŁ40k. I'd stay up in the fresh air working hard!

I would commute in the van, buy all materials cheaper up here, travel down, dig over in nice hotel, could even do 3 in the week then have 4 days off, how many jobs would you accumulate at say for argument sake this OP's job for ÂŁ4600, i reckon ÂŁ3500-ÂŁ4000, customers happy, were happy everyones a winner

Where abouts in north do you live? i dont live too far away from Trev

Is that before or after you've travelled to a site survey beforehand, paid your congestion charge, ÂŁ40+ for a stop in the NCP.....etc. Not spoiling for a scrap, I rarely even work in London, just making a point. All that glistens isn't gold. The place I lived before, my neighbour sold his parking space - for ÂŁ40k. I'd stay up in the fresh air working hard!

When we said london we sort of meant down south in general, i wouldnt like to work in central london at all

Outskirts and surrounding areas definatley

I would commute in the van, buy all materials cheaper up here, travel down, dig over in nice hotel, could even do 3 in the week then have 4 days off, how many jobs would you accumulate at say for argument sake this OP's job for ÂŁ4600, i reckon ÂŁ3500-ÂŁ4000, customers happy, were happy everyones a winner

Where abouts in north do you live? i dont live too far away from Trev

your right vern.....close to trev too. g'head

Last edited by a moderator:

i will man,not a fan of stab city..

Middlesbrough myself, you do much rewiring in gateshead? most of our work is up there i commute everyday, currently in Fenham installing PV

Middlesbrough myself, you do much rewiring in gateshead? most of our work is up there i commute everyday, currently in Fenham installing PV

im not a house basher vern,i do alarms,which is a bit like electrics but easier with little cables.:sailor:

Wade, good for you, I wish you all the best on your first house rewire by your self.

On another note:- if anyone wants to debate the ins and outs of Wades prices, timescale and profits just start another thread and leave the man alone.

Last week he asked for advice on pricing, he received it and today has said he has the job. Great, stop p1ssing on his bonfire and support a fellow electrician ffs.

Wade, any help or advice that i/we can give you is yours. All you have to do is ask, you will receive. Good luck but at the end of the day you know what your doing so just get on with it regardless of what people think ;).

Reply to I got the job! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock