Discuss I got the job! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I do Sometimes wonder if some on here are tradesmen, not very often you see people mincing around on site acting high and mighty, lets face it you wouldnt last 5 mins. /backtoearthmodeoff

Im a little put out now i seem to have caused such a stir up witha few people.

At the end of the day, i priced the job according to going rates down here in the catchment i live in. I priced the job as honestly and fairly as i could and have no where tried to shaft her for extra profit. I have itemised the entire materials list with her so she gets EXACTLY what she wants, and shown her the prices of each item over a coffee so she knows im not trying to make a huge mark up on materials. As far as my labour goes, im simply charging what i percieve to be a fair and honest wage, and where i live and work, you wont get guys getting out of bed for less then £200 a day. £40 a point is reasonable, and like i said previously, whats most important is she is happy with the price, and she is. very hapy infact, becasue guys have gone in before me with 6 or 7k quotes for the work.

I appreciate wholeheartedly all the support from everyone on here, and your input has been truly invaluable. Thanks again for the advice and encouraging me

Well done mate,

You stick to your fair price for a fair days work, we could all work for nothing.

I hope all goes well for you.

Your price appears way above what I would charge for local to me work, but there are so many variables depending on the individual installation and its location
It makes comparisons impossible

You dont have to justify your prices and business terms to anybody,you are running a business,the customer is happy,you are happy
If the above is the same after the job,alls well and good
I got the job! {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

^^^^^ spot on Des. Wade son if the client is happy with you and your prices that is all that matters.

Perhaps she felt comfortable with you, perhaps she liked your approach in how you explained things and perhaps she believes you will do the best job for her and who knows perhaps she even fancies you.

You have given her the prices and your SoW and she as accepted them, all there is now to do is a good job for her and your away.

Best of luck son

Last edited:
Hello all,

Just reading the comments. To be quite honest I think they're pretty harsh, I live very close to guildford, about 7 miles away, and when I quote I always charge £40 per point for a fully furnished house, so I think your quoting is spot on. Hope all goes well with the rewire.

Tom

Last edited:
that price seems spot on, yes its cheaper up north but so is everything.
500k upnorth a palace, london maybe a 1 bed flat with no bathroom
- used to work with a load of northerners who did rewires in a day stayed down for week go back on weekend.

Speaking to a plumber from Stoke on the job he's just bought his first house for 65k!! 2 bed detached, thats the deposit for a house round my way. I'm Surrey based and see nothing wrong with charging the local rate.:hurray: just under 5k would get a couple of barthrooms wired on st georges hill

Last edited by a moderator:
a lot of the old terraced houses in stoke are detached. only because next doors have been demolished. LOL.

A bloke i know picked up a 4 bed detached in middlesborough for £45k about 6 years ago. I mean it is Middlesborough but thats just insane. 4 bed my way your looking at £300k without any trouble at all.

A bloke i know picked up a 4 bed detached in middlesborough for £45k about 6 years ago. I mean it is Middlesborough but thats just insane. 4 bed my way your looking at £300k without any trouble at all.

nothing wrong with your price mate, people up north seem to forget its a lot more expensive to live down here. i own a house in great yarmouth 2 bed end terrace big bit of land down the side of it £90k and the mortgage is only 300 month ffs only brought it as Holiday home i rent it out all year and me and the family have it in the summer if i could move it down here where i live it be worth 250k, i cant even buy a bus shelter for that around my way

No im happy with the price, althought ive actually knocked off about 600 quid from the original quote as i have given her a bit of a discount on the switch points and im doing 8 points less then the original planned works as her kitchen is being built and wont be ready for a couple of weeks. so i think final price went in at £3845.

No im happy with the price, althought ive actually knocked off about 600 quid from the original quote as i have given her a bit of a discount on the switch points and im doing 8 points less then the original planned works as her kitchen is being built and wont be ready for a couple of weeks. so i think final price went in at £3845.

mate you really don't have to explain your price, if it was me il would of charged her for a variation, its your business run it how you want charge what you like. poeple who say they can do it in a day. good luck trying to get 5 rewires a week who gives a xxxx if they are happy with 600 for a rewire good on them, me 600 wont even cover my rent where i am i price my job on what i need and diesel ect ect, i dont worry about people up north who can do it for half that price, rewires don't come up every day for me but hay if they wanna come down and do it half that price and try and get 5 a week good on em

Well done on getting the job. I've just completed a rewire and whilst they are hard work you will have fun doing it. Your price will always differ from someone else's and I hope you have a good christmas out of it.

Thanks Hiddo, i plan to lad.

Yea mate i dont feel i need to justify it, and i know the lads who work up north just envy the money thats available down here for the similar sort of work but like we have all outlined cost of living is double here as it there on many aspects of life, a know lads up north who still pay £1.50 a pint! my local is trying to skin me for £4.00 a guiness now! shameful!

I guess more then anything, this being my first re-wire im just interested in how im comparing price wise to most other contractors working in the south. and by the sounds of things im on par and not shooting myself in the foot or robbing anyone. So im happy.

I start the job sunday morning at the crack of crow sh*t so ill update those who are interested, on how im getting on. Re-wire diaries...im pretty sure that with all the sh*te on TV nowadays i could def take that to a producer somewhere and have a Tv show made...im sure there is a market for watching a bloke hurt himself and swear a lot?

well can you put it on webcam i like a good laugh:20: and il give you a £1 for all the scrap cable you get out aswell, and dont forget your had hat:cyclist:

Reply to I got the job! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock