Discuss I have recently moved to Bulgaria. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have recently moved to Bulgaria to live. I want to work to help fund my small holding. I have found a country with little regulations. My electrical experience was on trains air conditioning. I’ve always done my own homes electrical stuff, I’m not a complete novice. It has been over 20 years since though. What, besides my digital multimeter would be a must have item. I’m pretty well tooled up regarding hand tools.

I would maybe make sure you are up to date with what regulations Bulgaria have and make sure you are not breaking any laws by doing electrical work without the relevant qualifications in place for that country (if they have any).

With regards to tools, I am not an electrician but i am sure someone on here can help you.

You may find this thread useful New guy - going to rewire house in Bulgaria - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/new-guy-going-to-rewire-house-in-bulgaria.120213/

Good Luck :)

Hi,as an aid to assisting,are you up with the language,as this can make a difference when getting help/parts.

"I have found a country with little regulations..."not the first time in history us europeans have jumped off a boat,and declared such a statement ???

Get ya self some multi functional testers (calibrated) and learn how to use em..... but as above I’d be checking laws and regs in the country before you start playing :)

I would maybe make sure you are up to date with what regulations Bulgaria have and make sure you are not breaking any laws by doing electrical work without the relevant qualifications in place for that country (if they have any).

With regards to tools, I am not an electrician but i am sure someone on here can help you.

You may find this thread useful New guy - going to rewire house in Bulgaria - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/new-guy-going-to-rewire-house-in-bulgaria.120213/

Good Luck
I have recently moved to Bulgaria to live. I want to work to help fund my small holding. I have found a country with little regulations. My electrical experience was on trains air conditioning. I’ve always done my own homes electrical stuff, I’m not a complete novice. It has been over 20 years since though. What, besides my digital multimeter would be a must have item. I’m pretty well tooled up regarding hand tools.

Good Luck :)
Hi,
I am new to the forum and just came across your post.
I have just returned from Bulgaria where I helped a Bulgarian electrician ( qualified and certificated) rewire a friends house.
He used the German system of radial wiring, giving each socket a separate earth back to the board, everything was earthed back to the board, (most earth to neutral at the socket.
Then used a loop from earth to neutral as is the way with TT system, as is grounded at the transformer,or should be.
He also installed a 4 meter long ground spike in the cellar through the side wall and connected a separate earth to this back to the board.
He said this was unusual in Bulgaria but it was something he always did after working in Germany.
I hope some of this information helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do your cables not have live/neutral/earth in them like ours?

Do your cables not have live/neutral/earth in them like ours?
No, the norm is just live and neutral, in fact only live and neutral come to the houses, i.e. Two cables above ground. (TT system)
The earth is grounded at transformer level and then at the socket where it is looped to the neutral providing an earth return.
This is why many modern Bulgarian electricians now use the German system of three core radial wiring, earthing each socket back to the consumer unit and then a ground spike to provide earth.
It is still a requirement to earthloop to neutral somewhere so a certificate can be issued. .????

Sounds like a TN-C system whereby the neutral conductor is a protective earth neutral (PEN) conductor.

I especially like the 4 meter earth spike,through the side wall of the cellar?
I bet it gave good readings....despite the risk of broaching services and boundaries?

I especially like the 4 meter earth spike,through the side wall of the cellar?
I bet it gave good readings....despite the risk of broaching services and boundaries?
Yes, I was worried at first until I realised the level was well below the services and even at 4M long, was well within the boundary, but it certainly took some driving in after drilling through the cellar wall.

Yes, I was worried at first until I realised the level was well below the services and even at 4M long, was well within the boundary, but it certainly took some driving in after drilling through the cellar wall.

Yep,no probs? if you have the measure of the land involved,it is not a bad idea.
Going down,usually means exponentially increasing friction,whereas sideways in even substrate,increases in more of a straight line graph.

Having spent time in the piling job,i'm all for a bit of SDS driven directional fracking ?

Reply to I have recently moved to Bulgaria. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net