Discuss I never install ring circuits, the potential for danger is unacceptable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ZEDEZ

-
Reaction score
I’d like to know if anyone else here refuses to install ring circuits in domestic premises.

For me it’s either a 20a radial / tree circuit with 2.5mm, or a 32 radial / tree circuit with 4.0mm.

Frankly I’m tired of finding broken ring circuits on 32a CB’s, as well as mismatches on end to end tests. It drives me nuts on jobs that should be simple.

I wish we would get rid of this ridiculous practice here in the UK.

I know some of you will say there’s nothing wrong with it when it’s properly installed and tested, but inevitably at some point in the future someone will come along and disconnect a conductor unknowingly while changing outlets on the circuit.

Testing is more complicated, and diagnosing faults on a ring also.

Nothing worse than what you call a 'tree circuit' for fault finding. Five or six legs, may be more and testing at each when installed, too. Rubbish.

I only ever make tree branches with wago boxes, with never any more than 2 cables in a socket installation box.

I always test at each socket outlet anyway so that’s no extra work.

I disagree, fault finding on a broken ring circuit with a figure 8 somewhere is worse.

Nothing wrong with a ring final circuit. It’s the uneducated/ unqualified who mess with them that causes the problems.

That is utter rubbish, the rfc is the best method IMO.

Funny that.

The RFC is an artefact of materials shortage during WWII, and isn’t really used anywhere else in the world spare a few exceptions.

If it were the best method, it would have been taken up elsewhere.

I don’t know why so many electricians love the RFC other than it’s familiar

Funny that.

The RFC is an artefact of materials shortage during WWII, and isn’t really used anywhere else in the world spare a few exceptions.

If it were the best method, it would have been taken up elsewhere.

I don’t know why so many electricians love the RFC other than it’s familiar
During that time, after WW11, we developed the best and safest electrical supply system in the world. Even today look at some of the rubbish in foreign countries.

A question for the OP, what is the potential for danger, please explain as then I may make a decision as to whether it's acceptable or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your overestimating the danger somewhat

Rfc's are great but i only really use them in kitchens now and unless its a large house would opt for 20a radials everywhere else

But lets be honest here, even in the case of a broken ring, the circuit will likely never see anywhere near enough load for any duration to be a danger of overloading the cable, unless maybe an exceptionally loaded kitchen circuit, especially given the case that even most ovens etc are on their own 16a radials now

Ive found probably hundreds of open ring circuits but next to none that i can remember with any signs of overload unless connections are loose

Id wager 90% of 32a ring circuits have never seen past 20 amps

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a ring final circuit. It’s the uneducated/ unqualified who mess with them that causes the problems.

That is exactly my point. The moment you walk out of the door, someone will mess with that ring circuit in time
I think your overestimating the danger somewhat

Rfc's are great but i only really use them in kitchens now and unless its a large house would opt for 20a radials everywhere else

But lets be honest here, even in the case of a broken ring, the circuit will likely never see anywhere near enough load for any duration to be a danger of overloading the cable, unless maybe an exceptionally loaded kitchen circuit, especially given the case that even most ovens etc are on their own 16a radials now

Ive found probably hundreds of open ring circuits but next to none that i can remember with any signs of overload unless connections are loose

Id wager 90% of 32a ring circuits have never seen past 20 amps

Ok, so 10% of ring circuits do see more than 20 amps, and then what is the chance that on those ring circuits at some point a conductor will be disconnected?

This is what I find unacceptable

Absolutely nothing wrong with a ring circuit. I would never install a 'tree's circuit for sockets. Ever.

... yes, there is something wrong with ring circuits - as I stated in my post.

Why would you never ever install a tree circuit?

That is exactly my point. The moment you walk out of the door, someone will mess with that ring circuit in time

Ok, so 10% of ring circuits do see more than 20 amps, and then what is the chance that on those ring circuits at some point a conductor will be disconnected?

This is what I find unacceptable
that is not the fault of the design of the circuit.what is unacceptable is numpties messing with things they don't have a clue about. would you condemn gas supplies in case some idiot turned the gas on then lit a match?

A disconnected cpc on a RFC and the circuit will almost certainly remain safe. A disconnected cpc on a radial and everything downstream of the break will be potentially dangerous but still working. There are pro's and cons to both types of circuits, the OP has not considered the danger of a faulty radial, which can be equal to a faulty ring. Whist there are good reasons for radials, the OP's logic is not a reason to ditch rings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to I never install ring circuits, the potential for danger is unacceptable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock