Discuss I never install ring circuits, the potential for danger is unacceptable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

that is not the fault of the design of the circuit.what is unacceptable is numpties messing with things they don't have a clue about. would you condemn gas supplies in case some idiot turned the gas on then lit a match?

Yes but the point is people will mess with these things. With a radial or a tree, a disconnected live conductor means whatever is downstream stops working - fault is obvious and it gets checked out.

Not the case with a RFC. In my opinion that’s bad design. You have to factor this inevitability into the design, and I do, that’s why I don’t install RFC’s.

Funny that.

The RFC is an artefact of materials shortage during WWII, and isn’t really used anywhere else in the world spare a few exceptions.

If it were the best method, it would have been taken up elsewhere.

I don’t know why so many electricians love the RFC other than it’s familiar
I think you have to question ZEDEZ if it is likely that you are right or if a much larger number of people are right? It would be good if you could acknowledge you 'may' be wrong. I think testing a 'tree' would be a nightmare and people could add to it all over the place making it even harder. I do agree though that you do find quite a few broken rings but I still prefer them as 90% of the time they are intact and they still use less copper than a 4mm radial which can only be a good thing.

I instal radials all the time.
Mostly for lights.
Though one time when I added a couple of flouries to an existing circuit, I ended up making it into a ring to counter the volt drop on start up.

As your title suggests......'the potential for danger is too great'......

I wouldn't touch gas as I'm not qualified too......

So why do folk touch electrics whilst not qualified.......?

As I've said on another thread they deserve a belt if they get one whilst interfering!

I'm totally against what you say......rings are king!

British standards are the daddy too so we better hang on to 'our' methods......

Fcuk the rest!!

I prefer radials but install both rings and radials. The main reason I prefer radials is they are far quicker and easier to test, particularly if you do not know the layout as on an EICR.No other reason, certainly not the OP's reasons

Reply to I never install ring circuits, the potential for danger is unacceptable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock