Discuss ideas for belling up a security door in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a customer who has installed very heavy steel security door in a metal frame. This door is going nowhere. My concern is that an attack is most likely to be from between the metal frame and the blockwork, by working in a crow bar and then forcing the door frame away from the concrete blockwork.

I will of course fit a standard magnetic contact and shock sensor to the door, however, I'm after ides of how best to add alarm protection to detect the kind of attack detailed above.

My initial thoughts are to fit magnetic contacts between the wall and frame, two either side and loop them all though in series. However, thought I would have a quick ask on here, for any other ideas or suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
N.

What about a shock or vibration sensor on the wall and door frame? If you set it correctly it shouldn't cause nuisance alarms.

Through beam detection inside the door?

If you make the door ultra secure, it is sometimes easier to knock a hole in the roof or wall.
Depending on the layout and value to protect, it might be worth considering protecting more than the obvious points of entry.

a shock sensor on the door frame would detect any such attack.

If you really want to beef the door frame up, flat bar around the front of the door frame to prevent the crow bar attack you mentioned.
Like James has indicated beefing the door up and forgetting the rest of the building may be a pointless exercise.
To be honest if there is something in there really worth that amount of effort the professional thief will not be bothered about a few alarms going off.
They will be in/out and long gone before anyone responds unless the customer is living on site and giving that criminals don't care much about seriously injuring people these days I would advise just letting them get on with it.

Unless of course you are the brickshithouse type of person !!

Hi,

I have a customer who has installed very heavy steel security door in a metal frame. This door is going nowhere. My concern is that an attack is most likely to be from between the metal frame and the blockwork, by working in a crow bar and then forcing the door frame away from the concrete blockwork.

I will of course fit a standard magnetic contact and shock sensor to the door, however, I'm after ides of how best to add alarm protection to detect the kind of attack detailed above.

My initial thoughts are to fit magnetic contacts between the wall and frame, two either side and loop them all though in series. However, thought I would have a quick ask on here, for any other ideas or suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
N.
Steele door and frame, magnetics could be a problem N/C contacts would be a better "idea to an alarm panel with shunt facilities incorporated for entry and exit, "belling up" WTFs that all about?

Hi Guys,

thanks for your input.

"belling up" WTFs that all about?" haha, just an expression I picked up from an old sparky many years ago.

The building has just two doors, both heavy steel, with the door I'm 'belling up' recently installed, replacing a rotting wooden door which had been metal clad. There are very few windows & they are all very small and located 6 feet up the wall. An adult certainly would not get through them, but possibly a small pikey child. However they have internal steel bars across them, thus slowing down an attack. The roof is steel, walls concrete. The alarm is monitored 24/4 by a central station monitoring company and there are a number of f'off great sounders in the building, ear splittingly loud, nobody would stay in the building with them going off. Ram-raiding is not an option due to other security measures installed.

Magnetic contacts would of course be mounted on aluminium spacers. This new door is in a location not suitable for PIRs, so a direct attack on the door has to be detected.

I think the answer is to advise the customer to fit additional steel around the doors to stop a crow bar attack between frame and wall & fit a couple of shockies on the door.

Thaks for your input guys.
N.

Magnetic contacts would of course be mounted on aluminium spacers. This new door is in a location not suitable for PIRs, so a direct attack on the door has to be detected.

I think the answer is to advise the customer to fit additional steel around the doors to stop a crow bar attack between frame and wall & fit a couple of shockies on the door.

N.
Rather than PIR's would a microwave or dualtech sensor be an option

Shock sensors can be problematic with the knock, run and hide thief attempting to break in, trigger the alarm enough times until the keyholder leaves the alarm off and then the burglar has free run of the building

Had a health centre site about 20 years ago and the alarm was triggered by the shock sensors a few times within a 90 minute period with no apparent entry attempt after the third time I suggested to the police that if we left a handler and dog in the building and omitted that zone of the alarm when they came back the alarm wouldn't trigger and they would get the arrest as the break in happened it worked a treat as we left the building made it quite clear we had left the alarm off and went and stood off about 1/2 a mile from the site with the officer in the building passing updates about 10 - 15 minutes later there were 3 arrests

Hi Guys,

thanks for your input.

"belling up" WTFs that all about?" haha, just an expression I picked up from an old sparky many years ago.

The building has just two doors, both heavy steel, with the door I'm 'belling up' recently installed, replacing a rotting wooden door which had been metal clad. There are very few windows & they are all very small and located 6 feet up the wall. An adult certainly would not get through them, but possibly a small pikey child. However they have internal steel bars across them, thus slowing down an attack. The roof is steel, walls concrete. The alarm is monitored 24/4 by a central station monitoring company and there are a number of f'off great sounders in the building, ear splittingly loud, nobody would stay in the building with them going off. Ram-raiding is not an option due to other security measures installed.

N.
I'm gong to bell up my car later anyone got any advice? "Bell up" whatever next?

Reply to ideas for belling up a security door in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net