Discuss Identifying single pole wires for smart dimmer in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Shawn B

DIY
Reaction score
This should be simple...
Master bedroom has a single pole switch leading to a new and perfectly working fixture. I'm trying to install a Feit smart wi-fi dimmer for it. The switch box contains a top cable with a black, white, red & ground wire and a bottom cable with a black and white cable. The top and bottom white wires are tied together. The Feit dimmer requires a neutral. I've connected the top black to the switch load, bottom black to line, both whites to neutral and ground to ground. This powers the switch LED's but does not turn on the fixture. What am I doing wrong?

This should be simple...
Master bedroom has a single pole switch leading to a new and perfectly working fixture. I'm trying to install a Feit smart wi-fi dimmer for it. The switch box contains a top cable with a black, white, red & ground wire and a bottom cable with a black and white cable. The top and bottom white wires are tied together. The Feit dimmer requires a neutral. I've connected the top black to the switch load, bottom black to line, both whites to neutral and ground to ground. This powers the switch LED's but does not turn on the fixture. What am I doing wrong?
The cable with the red is probably the switch leg or could possibly be the black also in that cable

Hello again,
So as mentioned above there are 2 cables leading into the box, as there should be; one from the top and the other from the bottom. Top cable has all 4 wires, bottom has black & white with this black carrying live power. The FEIT dimmer can be installed as either single pole or 3-way as long as there's a neutral wire. This is a single pole installation and there is a neutral wire (which I believe are the top and bottom whites. The dimmer instructions aren't entirely clear (to me), but show a single pole installation with line, load, neutral & ground connected (which I have as outlined above). Single the switch is receiving power (the LED's are lit), neutral must be correct, and single my meter is only showing the bottom black as live, that should go to the line terminal on the switch. That leaves the top black to connect to the load terminal. Capping or connecting the top red to the YL/RD switch terminal does nothing- the fixture doesn't turn on. Help?

Reply to Identifying single pole wires for smart dimmer in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock