Discuss IET 18th Ed. Wiring Regs Course - Best Option to Learn in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips or knowledge on where to take the 18th Ed Wiring Regs Course/Exam?

I've been quote £450 for a 10 weeks course at my local college but wasn't sure what the going price for this was, and if there is a more economical way of doing it?

I took the 17th around 9 years ago, in which I bought the 17th Ed. Regs book and the onsite guide.
Are these still the two main reading material recommended to accompany the course?

Thanks!

10 week course???? you could read the bible in less time. regs. course is usually 2 days with exam on the 3rd. unless its 2 hours a week evenings. some places allow you to just do the exam. £450 seems a bit steep. £250 is nearer the mark.

Hi,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips or knowledge on where to take the 18th Ed Wiring Regs Course/Exam?

I've been quote £450 for a 10 weeks course at my local college but wasn't sure what the going price for this was, and if there is a more economical way of doing it?

I took the 17th around 9 years ago, in which I bought the 17th Ed. Regs book and the onsite guide.
Are these still the two main reading material recommended to accompany the course?

Thanks!
Seeing as though it only takes 5 weeks to become a fully qualified electrician (;)) I think 10 weeks is a little excessive.

As the others have said you only need the BS7671 18th Ed for the exam, you wouldn't be allowed to have the OSG with you.

If you are loooking for a more economical way of doing it then find somewhere that allows you to do the exam only (probably £150 max). You can find lots of past papers which you can use for revision. Just do lots and lots of them as similar questions come up each time. Also, know the basics of the changes in the 18th compared to the 17th (i.e RCD's on lights, SPD's etc) as they're bound to put 2-3 questions in related solely to the 18th. Do this and you'll save yourself £300!

Last edited:
I did the online course which you run through at your own pace. (learn Zone media)
The C&G exam is included in the price at various locations around the UK which you tell them when and where your ready to sit it...

Cheap way of doing it if your already ok at finding your way around the regs book....

I did the online course which you run through at your own pace. (learn Zone media)
The C&G exam is included in the price at various locations around the UK which you tell them when and where your ready to sit it...

Cheap way of doing it if your already ok at finding your way around the regs book....
Buy the Book, read and get to know the contents, take the exam ONLY no need to pay these parasites inflated course fees when all you nead is the ability to navigate the Book especially the "CONTENTS PAGE" get to know it and you are 99% there. all these courses do is fleece you of your hard earned trust me I'm a "Jedi Sparks"

Agree with Pete, you don't need a course. Get to know the layout of the book and chapters. I watched some update vids on youtube (John Ward and Sparky Ninja), did a load of mock exams on -----------.co.uk then did exam only at a place in Stoke on Trent for £120. Still a rip off really, but better than the alternative, plus all that time off work.

Xs training is very good as they have a simulated online study and final exam.
Sparky ninjas vids are excellent revision source.
Xs training will book you in to a centre to take your exam in a location thats near to you.
You will need the 18th regs book to take the exam with

Thanks guys for all your feedback! Didn't think I'd get as many replies as I have!

I'll have a look at the various options you've all presented and get booking something in course-wise or exam-wise in the next week. Hopefully it'll be fairly similar to the 17th Regs exam (although I might be slightly rusty on certain parts).

Thanks once again!

Well its been some time now, a strange year so far too.

After going through all the course material via XS Training's online course, and many attempts at their online mock exam, I finally passed the 18th Ed Regs exam!

After the initial few questions I saw in the real exam I was sure I wouldn't get the marks needed but I surprised myself and got more than enough to get certified.

Thanks for your help guys!

Reply to IET 18th Ed. Wiring Regs Course - Best Option to Learn in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net