Discuss I'm officially 'At Risk' of redundancy. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Real redundancy is where you have someone doing a job that the company will not need to do anymore. If the employer makes you redundant then employs some else to do your old job, you can ask for your old job back and dicker about pay lost in the interim. Depending upon how long you have been with the company these meetings are where you can ask for retraining grants, so if you want some free training to be able to get another job get some quotes and take them to the meeting with you if you dont want retraining then ask what criteria that are using to choose who is leaving and who is staying (get this in writing). If they make you redundant and they havent followed their own criteria you can improve your payout via court/ tribunal and or ask for you job back. Get a copy of the company employee manual if they dont follow their own rules then again the payout goes up and you can keep working for them until they sort it out. Usually once you have left they won't take you back but the payout will reflect this, normal payout is around 2 years wages if they have been naughty and it goes to court/ tribunal and you have been with the company 5years+. Also if this news makes you feel unwell you may have to go off sick with stress, they can't procede with the redundancy until you are well enough to deal with it, if they do they will really have to payout Bear in mind that if you do get a big payout you might never be employed in this field again, but then again you can always work for yourself.

Moog, dont quite agree with some of your comments - redundancy is easy for employers because there are few rules for selection. They MAY use 'last in-first out', they may use a points system based on attendance, sickness etc or they may just pick the guy with the biggest nose - its up to them. Miminum payout is between half and one and a half weeks pay for each year of service, depending on age, and subject to a minimum of 2 years. You also get accrued holidays, pay in leiu of notice etc.

Additionally with sickness, there is no barr to making someone redundant because they are sick. If there was, and someone esle was made redundant because the person was sick, then that would defintely be a tribunal case.

i agree that the employment laws cause the problem off 'on the books' versus 'subbies'. Its extremelyy difficult to get rid of someone who is not up to the job, and companies are very wary of taking on full time staff because of it.

Moog, dont quite agree with some of your comments - redundancy is easy for employers because there are few rules for selection. They MAY use 'last in-first out', they may use a points system based on attendance, sickness etc or they may just pick the guy with the biggest nose - its up to them. Miminum payout is between half and one and a half weeks pay for each year of service, depending on age, and subject to a minimum of 2 years. You also get accrued holidays, pay in leiu of notice etc.

Additionally with sickness, there is no barr to making someone redundant because they are sick. If there was, and someone esle was made redundant because the person was sick, then that would defintely be a tribunal case.

i agree that the employment laws cause the problem off 'on the books' versus 'subbies'. Its extremelyy difficult to get rid of someone who is not up to the job, and companies are very wary of taking on full time staff because of it.

The selection rules are the criteria I was on about, if the criteria is in any way unfair or biased then it goes against the employer. With regard to sickness they can indeed still disimiss you however you can present a case that you were dismissed because of the illness. This means again that HR departments are wary of going ahead whilst someone is sick, especially stress where their practices can be seen to have a detrimental effect upon the emploee's health. If they did and it was shown that they were responcible for compounding the sickness they could be found liable for lost wages until the employee is well enough to work again. None of the things I said will stop a employer if they really want to go ahead, however making things difficult can make the employer think again. The employer may decide that it wasn't such a quick fix after all and the legal complications may mean that a they reassess expecially where the idea is from a middle manager trying to get noticed. I have known lots of people who got stiffed by employers through ignorance, where if only they knew their rights they would have either still been working or have been compensated. So if you are staff and they are stiffing you it is always a good idea to see a legal expert, you may find that you still have some rights that protect you

Last edited by a moderator:
The selection rules are the criteria I was on about, if the criteria is in any way unfair or biased then it goes against the employer. With regard to sickness they can indeed still disimiss you however you can present a case that you were dismissed because of the illness. This means again that HR departments are wary of going ahead whilst someone is sick, especially stress where their practices can be seen to have a detrimental effect upon the emploee's health. If they did and it was shown that they were responcible for compounding the sickness they could be found liable for lost wages until the employee is well enough to work again. None of the things I said will stop a employer if they really want to go ahead, however making things difficult can make the employer think again. The employer may decide that it wasn't such a quick fix after all and the legal complications may mean that a they reassess expecially where the idea is from a middle manager trying to get noticed. I have known lots of people who got stiffed by employers through ignorance, where if only they knew their rights they would have either still been working or have been compensated. So if you are staff and they are stiffing you it is always a good idea to see a legal expert, you may find that you still have some rights that protect you

all selection criteria is unfair and biased - it has to be! If there is more than one person doing a job, and only one is made redundant, then clearly that person is selected, so it is unfair on them, and fair on everyone else.

The point is the employer can pretty much decide any criteria they want to select the person - including sickness.

Pretty much the only time a tribunal would get involved with redundancy is if there was blatant dicrimination (ie selecting based on skin colour) but that would not mean, for example, that black people cannot be made redundant, only that they cant be selected purely on that basis.

I speak from both sides of the coin. My wife was made rendundant last month after 15 years, and that was purely a 'set up'. The company was n trouble, but the Welsh Assembly wont help an existing business. So they folded, made everyone redundant (450 people), and started up again a week later, attracting start up grants etc. I have also been involved as a manager, in both setting selection criteria, and selecting personnel for redundancy.

It isnt a nice thing either way, but the unfortunately businesses exist to make money, they are not charities (erm....unless you work for a charity of course!)

Sorry but I have to put a word in for subbies.
I have worked as a subby now for about 10 years.Before that I was on the books.In my experience most(but not all)of the sparks on the books are the laziest bunch of *******s you can come across.Because they are safe in the knowledge their job is safe,they don't do a lot for their money.Indicative of their lazy ways is the fact that subbies are being called in in the first place.Most subbies(and again not all)have to work to guarantee their jobs and are usually a lot more productive.That is basically why big companies are now leaning towards using subbies.That is the unfortunate truth.

exactly right firms men talk allllllll day long agency lads graft why? because if they get seen not grafting theyre gone but i have met some right agency muppets as well in my short time

<<right agency muppets>> so have I, one I got with one once (i was with the same agency) The gaffer said, err you two can start the fire alarm circuit, all wired in mi, the guy I was with said is that pyro? the copper stuff with powder in the middle?, he said to me, do you know how to make the ends off?..if you do, I will wire it, if you make the ends off.

****inell I thought, I'm off, why me?

They got the 'agency' in because no one on the books knew how to make a pyro end off..and i'm not kidding. Bloody ell how do these people price/get work?

I am a bit confused with some of the answers given here reason being is that if you work for an electrical contractor and their work dries up and they make you redundent after you have worked for them for 4 years does that mean when they get more business (say in 6 months time) they cannot employ any electricians for 2 years after making you redundent. i think not.

Last edited:
TO the OP dont go overboard "your at risk" thats all, they have invited you to a meeting, to discuss the options, go in with an open mind. They may say anything, but if go in all guns blazing guess who will be going first. They might offer you a 4 day week while its quiet, a differnet role, or a payout. These arent always bad things and in the next 6 months far more people will get a letter saying your done goodbye cheques in the post. Your in a much situation than if they just went bust and legged it.

Being a subby myself I have met some right chancers working as subbys.I tend to work for a certain amount of contrators but on occasion I have done agency work.Once I was paired up with a right nugget.We were installing 600mm tray and I started to notice he was standing back letting me do all the sets and measuring.OK I thought,no problem,I thought he was a little bit rusty but I asked him to paint the tray with galv after I had made one particular set.Off I went for a **** and when I returned the idiot had painted the whole length of tray,I kid you not.
So idiots are found on both sides of the fence.

I am a bit confused with some of the answers given here reason being is that if you work for an electrical contractor and their work dries up and they make you redundent after you have worked for them for 4 years does that mean when they get more business (say in 6 months time) they cannot employ any electricians for 2 years after making you redundent. i think not.

bit more complicated than that Ian

depends if you have been made straightfoward redundant, depends on wether or not you have been 'bumped' (made redundant because someone elses job has gone and they have been moved into your job) or claimed statutory redundancy after being laid off for 4 weeks contionous for example. Bottom line is, of course there is nothing to stop them re-employing after 6 months if they won a new contract, although within certain time limits they would have to re-offer the job to the original redundee, who has 4 weeks to accept, but may lose part of their original payout etc etc etc.

Its a freekin' minefield. My missus came out ok. The company went into liquidation, so she she claims her redundancy from the National Insurance fund. She was out of work less than a week when the company was restarted after a management buy out, so she picks a cheque for about 8.5K and was straight back in her old job.

And like previously said, just changing a job title can be an 'easy' way around rendundancy for an employer. And its a fact that just making someone redundant can be a damn site cheaper for getting rid of unwanted or underpreforming staff than giving them the push and risking a tribunal.

My daughter is next - she works for an estate agents, - of course no-one if buying or selling, so the staff have to apply for their own jobs, and they know only half of them are going to be sucessful

Its tough out there, and its gonna get tougher

If you are employed as an electician, then they cannot make you redundant and then advertise a job for an electrician for 2-years. They ain't daft, it is really a load of bull****, there are millions of ways round it. Like in the old days, as soon as you qualified you would be booted out (cos they had to pay you more money) so they would then seek new 'apprentices'. One spark, 20 apprentices

It is going the same way, except now rather than apprentices...use the agency, save 5 quid per hour and loads of hassle

Anything goes really ,i remember a company that went bust owing thousands to the treasury in ni payments ,what hope would anyone working for them have of getting a proper pay out ?thats the reality unfortunatly ,if the goverment cant get what there owed because the directors leg it ,what chance do you have?

not all employers are crooks though ,some are very concientious and genuinely worry about paying men off

Reply to I'm officially 'At Risk' of redundancy. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock