Discuss Immersion heater and central heating on same circuit? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Install a single socket and put a plugtops on the immersion heater flex and boiler feed.
That way only one can be used, you don't normally need both on at once anyway.
Gas being cheaper than electricity the immersion is usually only used in an emergency.

1, I don't like immersion heaters on plug tops.
2, I wouldn't have both methods of water heating on the same circuit, as a fault in one could knock out the other.
3, The immersion heater is quite a large load, and it is recommended that such loads are placed on separate circuits.

Put them both on a 20 amp radial - immersion fused at 13 amps ( hope i`m not gonna start another row here about running 13 amps through a 13 amp fuse) and CH at 3 amps or 5 amps as required

Strangely enough it seemed to be a common practice to wire an immersion heater from a ring main circuit in the 1960s using a switched spur unit for isolation.

I have seen a quite a few overheated fuse holders over the years !

Personally I tap Immersion heater circuits quite a bit, cos they never get used anyway. Imm heaters about 12.5 amps and a 2.5 radial can go on a 20amp MCB so not really a prob load wise.

20 dp switch for immersion heater and dp sw fused spur @ 3a on a 2.5 radial would satisfy loading but why would you want to run 2 2.5 radials? Personally i would never run an immersion on a sw fused spur

I have never seen an Immersion on anything other than a SFS. It is after all a 13 Amp fuse, surely theres a reason that all imm heaters draw almost exactly 13 amps

Although many existing immersions have a swFCU. Often on a 15A 3036. I'd leave it as is unless there's a problem, but would install a 20A DP by choice.

99% of domestic ch systems will pull less than 1A - it's the pump that's the large consumer and these are rarely more than 150W. So, CH and immersion on a 16A mcb should present no problems. Both should have DP isolation (remember most FCUs are SP).

I have never seen an Immersion on anything other than a SFS. It is after all a 13 Amp fuse, surely theres a reason that all imm heaters draw almost exactly 13 amps

It was usual in the 60s to fit a small square 20A DP sw.
In the villages round our way where there is no gas people tend to use immersions rather than oil for hot water. I've come across many burned out swFCUs. Always replace with 20A DP sw.

Reply to Immersion heater and central heating on same circuit? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock