Discuss in service inspection and testing 5th edition in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Julie.

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Does anyone know off hand when the 5th edition is supposed to come out, with the lockdown I can't get an official response.

The draft "in service inspection and testing 5th edition" was out late last year for comments, and as I haven't got a copy of that, I don't have the timescales that were suggested

Does anyone know off hand when the 5th edition is supposed to come out, with the lockdown I can't get an official response.

The draft "in service inspection and testing 5th edition" was out late last year for comments, and as I haven't got a copy of that, I don't have the timescales that were suggested
I only heard that there was a 5th Edition coming out yesterday! Not sure how I missed it before that.

Sorry to be unhelpful, but I've no idea of the timescale. (I tried to find information about it yesterday but got nowhere.)

I only heard that there was a 5th Edition coming out yesterday! Not sure how I missed it before that.

Sorry to be unhelpful, but I've no idea of the timescale. (I tried to find information about it yesterday but got nowhere.)
I can't find anything either, there are a number of changes from the 4th if it comes out as per the draft. Those in appendix 7 - low risk server type racks is the key one for the particular specification I am doing at the moment, but I can't really reference it, if it doesn't come out in a reasonable time!

It closed for public comments in September I think, so ordinarily it would have been surfacing around now I would have guessed.

Ok, to answer my own question, I have spoken to one of the committee members, and: "the latest information we have from the IET is that the publication of the IET 5th Edition might be delayed until September but no official publication date has been confirmed."

Which is a bit of a bummer, as I was hoping to reference the appendix rather than writing some drivel of my own!

I was hoping to reference the appendix rather than writing some drivel of my own!
I can't see anything that you've written being drivel somehow.

I'm not entirely sure why they felt the need to update the PAT CoP though. There were a few changes between 3rd Edition and 4th Edition (e.g. not printing retest dates) but by and large there was little to get excited about. Perhaps this will be the most exciting edition of it to date.

From memory of the draft, it was some basic electrical stuff (so it can be used by basically anyone :mad: )

A section on class II FE equipment, some new requirements for 13A plugs and cables,
plus guidance for low-risk mobile equipment fixed in server racks and similar applications - mainly about maintenance

I think the current leakage stuff and high current earth tests are downplayed - or dropped as well, but wasn't really paying that much attention!

Reply to in service inspection and testing 5th edition in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net