Discuss Installing Ring floodlight but no ground wire in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Swiffycat

DIY
Reaction score
I am trying to install a ring floodlight camera wire plus but there are only two wires coming out of the outside of house - and the new fixture has three (the green one for the ground wire). Is it okay to just cap this ground wire? Obviously want to to do everything safely and up to code!! Thank you.

Attachments

• 614B37D7-78CA-4E1A-991F-EB26B949BD5C.jpeg
    648.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 1E4ABBF1-EA79-4494-B80C-F6D010F21ED1.jpeg
    846.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 8B3A92CB-1207-4E95-9B0A-6249B71690E1.jpeg
    501.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 446AB390-DF51-4A89-8F93-D2A57F6D41E1.jpeg
    783.6 KB · Views: 26
No the green needs connecting to ground.

There is a possibility that you do have an earth at the box, in the form of metal conduit feeding it, but this needs to be confirmed by testing.
If the box is earthed, ideally it would have a terminal in the box for you yo connect the green wire to. In the pic, it looks like theres' a place for the terminal, but unfortunately it's missing.

I am trying to install a ring floodlight camera wire plus but there are only two wires coming out of the outside of house - and the new fixture has three (the green one for the ground wire). Is it okay to just cap this ground wire? Obviously want to to do everything safely and up to code!! Thank you.
You really only have 2 choices and one of them is to hire an electrician to install a ground wire, the conduit looks like PVC pipe and if you look under your house it probably is just stubbed through the brick and if you have galvanized water pipe which should be bonded. If that’s the case then there could be a ground wire connection that could be used as a ground wire. The screw that is missing in the box can easily be installed and it probably don’t cost maybe a dollar for an 8/32 screw by 1/2 inch long screw so you can hook your green from your flood light to the box at the very least. Again my opinion is to hire an electrician and it shouldn’t take them maybe 30 minutes to install a ground wire to the box. I don’t know how old your house but in the 60’s a lot of houses don’t have ground wires. The right electrician could rectify this problem and mount the light for you also. Good luck

Reply to Installing Ring floodlight but no ground wire in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net