Discuss Intake behind bath taps in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

TPES

Anyone ever seen this before? The intake at the back of the bath just behind taps, and fuse board just above bath taps in a cupboard.. Would you code this?
Intake behind bath taps {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

It's hard to see there but there's the supply cable coming up from floor, a 6mm earth onto the armouring, then tails from the cut out, this is at bath surface level just behind taps behind a Perspex sliding cupboard door..

Access to the service head could be a problem but otherwise I dont think its an issue because the regs dont apply to authority supplies........I hate these sort of jobs!

Thats my thinking too, just a very bad design, I don't think you could even open the service head up to change the intake fuse if ever it was to blow, the bath would have to be removed... The customer now wants me to change his 3036 board for a new CU. it's an old cottage and the owner said in the last 29 years of him living there he has never had an electrician in his house.. Wish me luck on the board change and testing!

Thats my thinking too, just a very bad design, I don't think you could even open the service head up to change the intake fuse if ever it was to blow, the bath would have to be removed... The customer now wants me to change his 3036 board for a new CU. it's an old cottage and the owner said in the last 29 years of him living there he has never had an electrician in his house.. Wish me luck on the board change and testing!

I hope there's an Isolator fitted then otherwise you may be dabbing those tails back in LIVE lol

*** just kidding obviously ***

Looks like a BS951 clamp on the sheath and a 4mm main earth, but may be just the picture, should be easy to upgrade!

Lots of luck with the works, rather you than me I am afraid.
Or should that be: I am afraid. Rather you than me!

For some reason I bet there definately is NOOOOO iso fitted, tails might be undersize also.

16mm tails, No iso. I'll get him to call DNO to fit an isolator, (if they can).

Better leave the client a contact for a Bathroom fitter too then lol

Bet the DNO won't be happy as they are unable to maintain their equipment? Should be interesting to find out what happens:thumbsup

My job there today was to bond gas and water.. The customer didn't make me aware on the phone that the gas meter was in the detached garage across a block paved drive.. Was a pain getting the bond back to MET in main house.. Don't you just love work in old cottages

I just can't believe this!!! someone has put a bath on top of a DNO cutout. No, there probably isn't a regulation to stop it from our (IEE regs ) side, but I bet there is a DNO regulation which states that their equipment must be accessible for repair and maintenance, which this clearly is not. The reason there is no specific regulation is that the IEE et al expect people to use their bl**dy common sense (a rare commodity today, apparently) and not put a bath on top of it! I cannot bear to think what could happen if the plumbing leaks or the seal round the bath edge starts to leak. The solution is not simple I know, but in my estimation it is either move the cutout or move the bath. This set up is grossly unsafe, and by the grace of god, has not already killed someone. Just because there isn't a reg specifically forbidding something doesn't mean it is OK to do it FFS!

My job there today was to bond gas and water.. The customer didn't make me aware on the phone that the gas meter was in the detached garage across a block paved drive.. Was a pain getting the bond back to MET in main house.. Don't you just love work in old cottages

so why bond at the gas meter. you should bond the gas where it comes into the house.

I just can't believe this!!! someone has put a bath on top of a DNO cutout. No, there probably isn't a regulation to stop it from our (IEE regs ) side, but I bet there is a DNO regulation which states that their equipment must be accessible for repair and maintenance, which this clearly is not. The reason there is no specific regulation is that the IEE et al expect people to use their bl**dy common sense (a rare commodity today, apparently) and not put a bath on top of it! I cannot bear to think what could happen if the plumbing leaks or the seal round the bath edge starts to leak. The solution is not simple I know, but in my estimation it is either move the cutout or move the bath. This set up is grossly unsafe, and by the grace of god, has not already killed someone. Just because there isn't a reg specifically forbidding something doesn't mean it is OK to do it FFS!

bath obviously fitted by friendly neighbourhood plumber. need i say more?

so why bond at the gas meter. you should bond the gas where it comes into the house.

I first thought this too tel, but then noticed sockets and lights in the detached garage, so the gas meter and pipe work is all conductive, so thought my best option was to bond on the meter

Out of interest is the meter there aswell? That sounds like a right pig of a job! good luck!

The meter is at bath top level behind the taps. Behind a clear Perspex sliding cupboard ( picture it like a display cabinet in wholesalers)

Here's the board again, I'm in the process of changing it... It has Perspex sliding doors then, 2 wooden cupboard doors in front of that. There's no rubber seal or anything to keep it water tight.. What would you recommend?

only a plumber could fit a bath like that. a spark would have put the taps the other end, and probably bonded them, just to be sure.

Reply to Intake behind bath taps in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock