Discuss IR fault on ring in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

johnnymacc

Hi guys,
did a cu change in an indian takeaway,fighting the clock,split the ring and thought i had the prob sorted so put socket back on then got 0 reading did this with a few sockets, they were old and pretty gunged up do you think this was the prob off back tomorrow with four new sockets also cos its a small place with one ring i was struggling to suss how it was wired,any thoughts.

Likely there is a load in the circuit you havn't identified. Try removing the sockets you are suspecting and put temporary connections in their place.
Then re-test.

I think the extractor fan system is run off the ring cos it wasnt working and i didnt realise till the owner said the fans not working as i was leaving

Likely there is a load in the circuit you havn't identified. Try removing the sockets you are suspecting and put temporary connections in their place.
Then re-test.

Wago's are the dogs for doing this. I had a line to earth short circuit on a kitchen ring on Monday, turned out to be a very cheap poor quality chrome socket that someone had got in a lucky bag for about 10p.

Cheers.......Howard

was this line to earth or line to neutral? i normally just do a quick continuity check line to neautral, if you get continuity generally there is still a load somewhere, join the line and neautral together on one leg at the board then test line+neautral together to earth, see if its any better.

you could always do a continuity between the cpc and N and L and cpc this will confirm you've not got a short to a back box some where ,if ok do as keith has said it could be as been said an appliance still plugged in , dont forget to re do your IR tests if you do find a fault or appliance plugged in

Nick

Reply to IR fault on ring in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net