Discuss IR Testing what is your take on it? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All

With the introduction of electronics into socket outlets and other devices. IR testing has become very laborious, I am only talking about EICRs, I spend more time looking for possible causes for low readings than anything else.
From another forum I gathered there was talk of doing away with the IR test.
What are your thoughts on this.

My take on it is it is an ingenious method of assaying the state of cables in an installation. I eschew the global LN to E as I feel it is a very incomplete test and like to get into the installation more and know exactly what is going on. I am sure that is heresy but that is just me, curious and really want to be sure that when I say a circuit is safe to keep in use I know it is. I know there are instances where that is just not practical but still I will gravitate toward L-N L-E N-E where I can and yes I keep the earth in the earth bus bar!

I only ever do IR L-L and L-N on initial verification. It is too disruptive and unnecessary for an existing install.

As far as testing periodically, For the breakdown to occur between those it would require 2 faults, which if there is a path between them, almost certainly there is a path to earth which you can pick up on LN-E test. That's would guide you to investigate further.

Cliffed. That's is soo true lol. All these 299 readings we see, which you know haven't even been tested due to what would of had to have been disconnected to achieve that.

I only ever do IR L-L and L-N on initial verification. It is too disruptive and unnecessary for an existing install.

As far as testing periodically, For the breakdown to occur between those it would require 2 faults, which if there is a path between them, almost certainly there is a path to earth which you can pick up on LN-E test. That's would guide you to investigate further.

Cliffed. That's is soo true lol. All these 299 readings we see, which you know haven't even been tested due to what would of had to have been disconnected to achieve that.
I'm going to take that sage advice, as I like the sound of it.

Limitation on your report. As the inspector you can limit whatever you agree with the client.
Not so much that one though, although I feel you could convince a customer of anything, I think it's a bridge too far.

My take on it is it is an ingenious method of assaying the state of cables in an installation. I eschew the global LN to E as I feel it is a very incomplete test and like to get into the installation more and know exactly what is going on. I am sure that is heresy but that is just me, curious and really want to be sure that when I say a circuit is safe to keep in use I know it is. I know there are instances where that is just not practical but still I will gravitate toward L-N L-E N-E where I can and yes I keep the earth in the earth bus bar!
Great to see the English language used so eloquently. Your line , “I know there are instances where that is just not practical” sort of puts it back to having to use L&N to E method, which increasingly is the case.

In the 'old days' before the widespread use of switchmode power supplies (chargers, PC power supplies, LED drivers etc) you could do an IR test and if you did a leakage clamp test around the supply live and neutral the results of both tests would tally.

Nowadays an global IR test gives little or no indication of leakage (functional or fault).

I'd only see the value of an IR test if you're fault finding or as a dead test on a new installation or circuit.

In the 'old days' before the widespread use of switchmode power supplies (chargers, PC power supplies, LED drivers etc) you could do an IR test and if you did a leakage clamp test around the supply live and neutral the results of both tests would tally.

Nowadays an global IR test gives little or no indication of leakage (functional or fault).

I'd only see the value of an IR test if you're fault finding or as a dead test on a new installation or circuit.

I am coming around to that way of thinking as someone mentioned you often see 299MΏ on a EICR and you just know it's false.

Reply to IR Testing what is your take on it? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock