Discuss Is an extractor fan required in a NEW utility room? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The customer is having an extension. This will include a utility room which will have the usual in it, i.e. sink, washing machine, fridge. There will be a window.

Approved document F is pretty big and I was hoping that someone could assist in pointing me to the right bits on whether an extractor fan is required? I'm pretty sure it will be but just want to check. I'm sure the building inspector will mention it when I see him, but I am quoting now and want to be prepared.

Cheers all.

If a building inspector is involved then I'm assuming that building regs will apply and need to be adhered to.
I'd quote for a compliant fan, 30 l/s and timed run on I think is required. Seen all manner of small crappy fans put in kitchens and utilities though.

I’ve just done a utility room and shower room extension for a customer and both fans were stated as 15 l/s. I thought the utility one should have been bigger, but I didn’t mention it. It was passed by BC, so who am I to argue.

Oh, and customer decides that shower room door is to be hung opposite to what’s on drawing... which puts all my switches behind a door.

Some people, eh.

Any new kitchen; bathroom (or shower room); utility room; or toilet should be provided with a means of extract ventilation to reduce condensation and remove smells.

For toilets only, ‘purge ventilation’ (an opening window/door on an external wall) meeting the requirements specified in Appendix 2 of ‘Approved Document F - Ventilation’ can instead be used to provide ventilation if security is not an issue.

(Quote Taken from here, )

For toilets only, ‘purge ventilation’ (an opening window/door on an external wall) meeting the requirements specified in Appendix 2 of ‘Approved Document F - Ventilation’ can instead be used to provide ventilation if security is not an issue.
I can personally vouch for the need for 'purge ventilation' for a toilet !

Reply to Is an extractor fan required in a NEW utility room? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock