Discuss Is it okay to run some heating cable up the wall behind a mirror? in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

Xerces

DIY
Reaction score
I'm looking at installing Ecoflex loose cable under the floor in my bathroom. I'm also going to be installing a large mirror, running the length of one wall, which I'd also like to heat to stop it misting up.

I understand it hasn't been designed with that in mind, but would there be any problem running the cable up the wall behind the mirror too?

Will the mirror be flush against the wall or will there be a gap? If there's a gap I doubt it would work.

I'm looking at installing Ecoflex loose cable under the floor in my bathroom. I'm also going to be installing a large mirror, running the length of one wall, which I'd also like to heat to stop it misting up.

I understand it hasn't been designed with that in mind, but would there be any problem running the cable up the wall behind the mirror too?

I wouldn't use the loose cable under the mirror on the wall. You can buy proper de mister pads which go under the mirror. I have just done the very same recently on a big mirror.

Brought a pad from these guys and wired it into the lights so only comes on when the lights are on. I just brought one that was big enough to cover the area by the sink as a full wall one would be expensive.

Demista 230V Heated Mirror Demister Pads - Heater Shop - https://www.heatershop.co.uk/electrical-heating-products/mirror-demisters/demista-230v-heated-mirror-pads

I suspect it wouldn't work, mirrors are normally bonded to walls using something like silicone which is not going to have the same thermal performance as tile adhesive and tiles does.

I think the cable would overheat and suffer damage as a result.

Plus it might cause the mirror to fall off of the wall.

On first reading this I was puzzled, seems there is more than one Ecoflex to the one I know of:

Reply to Is it okay to run some heating cable up the wall behind a mirror? in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net