Discuss Is loose trunking C2 or C3 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

The BPG#4 has this under C3:

• Wiring systems not adequately supported to prevent premature collapse in the event of a fire. Note: In locations other than in individual dwellings, such as communal areas forming part of an escape route, this would warrant a code C2 classification to be recorded)
The clarification is a bit convoluted to me, as it sounds like C2 only non-domestic but I think they mean (or maybe they should mean) C2 for any escape route or likely fireman access route.

Seems sensible. A code of C2 force cable in the corner of the bathroom seems harsh.

Mind you, we haven't seen a photo yet have we?

Bit of engineering judgement here surely...it’s been there years and isn’t in an escape route of any kind...c3 at worst surely? And it complies at the time of installation...

Completely understand that mate, I’ve rented in the past just curious as to why so concerned....I’m with you for a decent landlord idve just stuck down and if I liked the client idve made good of whilst doing the EICR so it was never an issue ?
Now that these EICRs have become mandatory none of the people doing them are doing any work at the time. Well not where my house is. So it seems to me a great money spinner. If it was done at the time it would be simplet

Seems sensible. A code of C2 force cable in the corner of the bathroom seems harsh.

Mind you, we haven't seen a photo yet have we?
I am not there as I live elsewhere. 350 miles away. The cable is in the kitchen on adjoining wall. Fridge freezer is about a food away

Now that these EICRs have become mandatory none of the people doing them are doing any work at the time. Well not where my house is. So it seems to me a great money spinner. If it was done at the time it would be simplet
Some of us are doing minor remedial works at the time, by prior agreement, as it saves the landlord time & money. Likely fixing a piece of trunking would fall into that category. However, there are some landlords who want a quote beforehand for everything however minor - those I am not fixing at the time, and it will eventually cost them more.

Bit of engineering judgement here surely...it’s been there years and isn’t in an escape route of any kind...c3 at worst surely? And it complies at the time of installation...
Well common sense tells me that. Believe me I have done everything to make the place safe including work that is not mandatory. For example a wired fire alarm system. It's not a house of multiple occupation. I have put in new lights, lots of points etc
Some of us are doing minor remedial works at the time, by prior agreement, as it saves the landlord time & money. Likely fixing a piece of trunking would fall into that category. However, there are some landlords who want a quote beforehand for everything however minor - those I am not fixing at the time, and it will eventually cost them more.
I would most certainly have been happy for the work at the time. I feel that I am being ripped off to be far. And I have used them before to do lots of things

The 'escape route' part has been changed. It now applies to all wiring.

Yep...I was getting at the fact it didn’t when installed mate, don’t get wrong if that was in an escape route I’d c2 it but it’s a bit harsh considering it’s location

As @DPG commented in post #20, I haven't seen any pics of the trunking so it's hard to say mate.

Yep...I was getting at the fact it didn’t when installed mate, don’t get wrong if that was in an escape route I’d c2 it but it’s a bit harsh considering it’s location
Well I find it ridiculous actually. It's secure it has not moved
As @DPG commented in post #20, I haven't seen any pics of the trunking so it's hard to say mate.
As I explained as I am not there I can't photo it I am 350 miles away
Very true mate
I cannot photo it as I am not there

Pay a local handyman to secure it. Shouldn't cost much. Pop the cable out, couple of holes drilled, pop cable back in. It would be good for you to find a local tradesman who you can use for jobs like this.

Pay a local handyman to secure it. Shouldn't cost much. Pop the cable out, couple of holes drilled, pop cable back in. It would be good for you to find a local tradesman who you can use for jobs like this.
I’ve actually taken someone on now as an arm of my business as handy man stuff becomes much more a thing with the current generation....

Just to add to the above, if you do this then get them to use fireproof cable clips & get them to take pics and send to you. You can then send them to the electrician.

Just to add to the above, if you do this then get them to use fireproof cable clips & get them to take pics and send to you. You can then send them to the electrician.

Top advice. Indeed.

We love a picture....it makes the whole thing a more immersive experience for us......for the love of good don’t put cheesecake in it though!....it’ll go wrong

Cheesecake may be good for fireproofing... Not that there is ever any left for me to test this out...

Reply to Is loose trunking C2 or C3 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net