Discuss Is this the worst install you have ever seen? *Feedback wanted!* in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Forget part P just ring your local building dept, tell them the work you want to do, they will want copies of your qualifications and the electrical installation certificate an schedule of tests certificate which they keep.

He will not be prosecuted for the standard of work

Not strictly true.
Unfortunately mate it is strictly true. You have to kill someone these days to get action taken against you. In an ideal world yes the installer would be brought to book over this but we don't live in that world

Hi, I do hope you have disconnected this installation. not only is an atrocious install it is extremly dangerous as no earths have been connected under fault conditions whoever touched one of the light fittings would become the route to earth consequentially suffering a severe electric shock especially in wet conditions as is quite likely being an outdoor install. Is this so called electrician actually qualified and is he part p registered, did he issue any paper work this type of work is part p notifyable. This person should be reported who knows how many other installs he has done like this. It is a £5000 fine to carry out electrical work without the proper qualifacations and being part p registerd. your cousin has had a lucky escape.

Forget part P just ring your local building dept, tell them the work you want to do, they will want copies of your qualifications and the electrical installation certificate an schedule of tests certificate which they keep.

john, of course you can do this, but regardless of qualifications they will still want the application fee (£180+vat where I am).

90 posts and our OP still hasn't done anything about the situation.

Hi Tony,

It's not that I've not done anything but this thread is getting printed out by my cousin and she has wrote a letter and holding meeting with this idiot when she comes back from holiday. I am overwhelmed with the amount of replies that this thread has received and I will be updating as and when I receive any info.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hi Tony,

It's not that I've not done anything but this thread is getting printed out by my cousin and she has wrote a letter and holding meeting with this idiot when she comes back from holiday. I am overwhelmed with the amount of replies that this thread has received and I will be updating as and when I receive any info.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

At the very least you cousin should get her money back and the install removed. She then get a proper sparky to do it right,

john, of course you can do this, but regardless of qualifications they will still want the application fee (£180+vat where I am).

That is true for a stand-alone bit of work but there is no additional cost if the project is already subject to Building Regulations paperwork with the council.
90% of my work is like that, maybe I'll bin my NAPIT membership and not bother about the other 10%.

That is true for a stand-alone bit of work but there is no additional cost if the project is already subject to Building Regulations paperwork with the council.
90% of my work is like that, maybe I'll bin my NAPIT membership and not bother about the other 10%.

Of course mate. I got the impression from john's post tho, that he was saying that if you are qualified and want to do notifiable work, simply tell LBC and they will ignore part P.

Got his name and number? I would like to ring him up and do ME a job and i'll ram a screwdriver into his head and then i'll be put away for manslaughter rather than let this freak free to put someone else's life at risk.
This is not funny, at all,by any means he should be named and locked up for a minimum of 6 months and removed from any electrical qualifications he MAY hold.
And part P IS useless this post proves it!

That is disturbing... What is colloquially known as common sense should dictate that live exposed conductive parts should be covered never mind BS7671...

Burying T&E??? common...

and are the fittings even IP rated?

That said, please excuse my naivety but what is the problem with having the lights fed from a ring main (assuming the additional load would not take the circuit beyond max rated demand).

I have just done something similar to a new build house where they had run 6mm to a hob point that was going to feed an induction hob, but instead the owners fitted a gas hob and so there is 6mm cable on a 40am MCB to feed a tiny electrical spark... I have added a circuit that will feed a couple of electric heaters, a few lights and sockets.

I am a qualified electrician, but not a very practiced one (just qualified). and so am checking that I have not made an error that will have my work appearing on a new thread...

Well depending on what type of light fitting you have used you could contravene regulation 559.6.1.6 by exceeding the maximum of 16amp protective device advised for a lighting circuit.

Also how have you wired the accessories you say you fitted lights, heaters, sockets have you wired these looped in 6mm? or have you reduced the cable size?

I assume you have altered the 40 amp circuit to a submain and installed a small DB supplying the final circuits to the sockets, heaters and lighting, therefore reducing cable csa appropriately. If not I would say not good practice. Hope this helps.

seriously this so called sparky hasnt a clue or doesnt care even if he had it on a RCD it wouldnt work it needs a earth and special location
ok i have heard all this before !!!
many years i visited electricians for their assessments and they would show me photos or tell me so and so done this and that and yes if it was in front of me i would report it straigth away but when i tell the electricain to report it they say oh i dont want the bother
either dont complain or report it this what is shown is a life threatening example bit of rain little kid and electrics makes for a distaster
and why would an RCD not work?...exposed-conductive-parts?..yes?......a potential earth path?..yes?....

I assume you have altered the 40 amp circuit to a submain and installed a small DB supplying the final circuits to the sockets, heaters and lighting, therefore reducing cable csa appropriately. If not I would say not good practice. Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks.. The 40amp circuit is feeding an IP55 garage CU with one way feeding lights one feeding a heater, one another and one the socket... and yes appropriately reduced cable csa for each circuit...

Well depending on what type of light fitting you have used you could contravene regulation 559.6.1.6 by exceeding the maximum of 16amp protective device advised for a lighting circuit.

Also how have you wired the accessories you say you fitted lights, heaters, sockets have you wired these looped in 6mm? or have you reduced the cable size?

Thanks for pointing that out.. the 6mm is feeding a garage sub DB (IP rated) with it's own earth rod, rcd and separate ways feeding each radial circuit, and yes each circuit is on a smaller csa cable...

thanks again for your feedback

The only thing I can see done correctly about that install is the fact he actually pushed the boat out and used 2 screws to hold the patress box to the wall......
I have to agree with all the rest, awful and downright dangerous. Some people should have their tools taken away. :90:

The only thing I can see done correctly about that install is the fact he actually pushed the boat out and used 2 screws to hold the patress box to the wall......
I'll bet he didn't install that box...

Reply to Is this the worst install you have ever seen? *Feedback wanted!* in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net