Discuss Is this the worst install you have ever seen? *Feedback wanted!* in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Did the lights work ?

Were they DI ?

Had he run out of tape and clips and you caught him between his return.

Does he have a registered disability ?

Is there an RCD anyway so whats the big deal ?

If she now in the dark when its lovely weather.

Best i can do.... otherwise... not done by our profession for sure

'The earth is only used for stripping the cable isn't it?' Words of a DIY have-a-go-hero to me a few weeks back......

That is one of the shoddiest bits of work I have seen!

Hi guys!Electricians in Greece face the same problems with DIY electricians (home owners) and certified electricians also that just are not cut for the job and should have their permitts taken.

Without trying to sound harsh, you have asked for advice and you have it, so what are you going to do about it?

The work is some of the worst I have seen. What he has done is litterally criminal in terms of Notifiable work, so you really need to get onto Trading Standards and Building Control. What has been done is a death trap by no uncertain terms and there would be risk of electric shock and/or fire. This installation will definately invalidate your cousins home insurance. What he has done is not your problem as such, it is his, so you need to act. Luckily for your cousin, you know it is an appauling installation so have disconneced it.

I have heard stories of guys being locked up for sub-standard work and this sort of stuff is what puts them there.

Do everyone a favour mate, including him, and report it to the authorities. He needs to be stopped before he does cause an injury or death or fire. Can you forgive yourself if you read something in the paper about someone being killed by substandard work? I couldn't, knowing I hadn't reported it.

That is disturbing... What is colloquially known as common sense should dictate that live exposed conductive parts should be covered never mind BS7671...

Burying T&E??? common...

and are the fittings even IP rated?

That said, please excuse my naivety but what is the problem with having the lights fed from a ring main (assuming the additional load would not take the circuit beyond max rated demand).

I have just done something similar to a new build house where they had run 6mm to a hob point that was going to feed an induction hob, but instead the owners fitted a gas hob and so there is 6mm cable on a 40am MCB to feed a tiny electrical spark... I have added a circuit that will feed a couple of electric heaters, a few lights and sockets.

I am a qualified electrician, but not a very practiced one (just qualified). and so am checking that I have not made an error that will have my work appearing on a new thread...

Stop referring to it as 'work' chaps, it's an offence to the word.
Work implies something useful has been done.

Completely agree, in this case the 'work' as some call it has been detrimental to the overall installation, and is no a dangerous situation. You cannot put this right, t+e shouldnt really be outside anyway, even if it was terminated in a more suitable manner.

Reply to Is this the worst install you have ever seen? *Feedback wanted!* in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net