Discuss Is this wiring in Denmark safe for a chandelier in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,
Appreciate any advice and help. I just moved from UK to an old house in Denmark and would like to install a large brass chandelier (1970s).

There was no ceiling light when I moved here, but the wires are there. I attach here a photo. There is green/yellow wire that I presume is Earth, blue that seems the neutral and a white live wire. The color seems rather weird for it, but I guess it was installed a while ago. Anyway, what makes me worry is that the live wire seems always on regardless of the wall switch. Would that be safe? Should I be extra careful because it is a massive brass fixture?

Thanks!

Is this wiring in Denmark safe for a chandelier el1-cph.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

The3 cores have not been terminated incorrectly.
The two rectangular blocks are intended for the line and neutral wires, and the square block for the earth.

It is a further concern that the wires remain live irrespective of the switch position.

Unfortunately, can’t see from the photo, whether there’s other wires not being used.

Could the white go to switch and return in the black then the black would be switched live
sounds a probable solution. once the terminals have been sorted as per spindoctors post #5.

White was the Danish colour for line at one time, so that looks fine to me. Note that neutral was previously black and red was earth, so it's important not to make assumptions based on practice in other countries. (Red was used as earth in other places too, e.g. Germany, although they used black as line, not white).

As a side note, the US convention for switch cables puts PL on the white core and SL on the black, which looks backwards to us in the UK as it's the PL core that's the 'wrong' colour, not the SL.

What tester did you use to discover that the line connection was always live regardless of the switch position? If it was a high impedance digital meter, you might simply have been seeing leakage / induced voltage. This is sometimes more pronounced in systems other than T+E because there is no CPC separating the PL and SL in the switch cable to hinder the capacitive coupling.

Hi,
Appreciate any advice and help. I just moved from UK to an old house in Denmark and would like to install a large brass chandelier (1970s).

There was no ceiling light when I moved here, but the wires are there. I attach here a photo. There is green/yellow wire that I presume is Earth, blue that seems the neutral and a white live wire. The color seems rather weird for it, but I guess it was installed a while ago. Anyway, what makes me worry is that the live wire seems always on regardless of the wall switch. Would that be safe? Should I be extra careful because it is a massive brass fixture?

Thanks!

View attachment 44622
The best advice would be to contact a Danish Electrical irm or Electeician , it would probably be easy to sort out, but to be compliant with Danish Rules and Regulations, who better than the Danish, there aren't that many English Electricians who are conversant with the Danish Electrical Codes, so best ask a Danish Sparky.

Reply to Is this wiring in Denmark safe for a chandelier in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock