Discuss JIB told me I wasn't a spark.....? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Your not getting my point!!! If a spark has been working in this industry for 20 years and completed his apprenticeship at his time.... HE WILL BE GRADED AS AN ELECTRICIAN!!! Same for the 60's, 70's and so on. NVQ or not. You complete the recognised electrical apprenticeship at the time and you'll always be a graded spark!!

not so. i obtained HND, Electrical Engineering in 1979. had 30 years exp.JIB classed me as trainee. bloody muppets.

Jebus...with all those '!!!' i get images of me old headmaster stood over me with cane in hand.....*hides*

:19:

Perfetic.....every single time I've had a electrical question telectrix has always had a answer for it and he's rated a trainee......

Who are the jib to rate you anyway, not higher than the guilds......
Anyone with abit of money behind them could start a scheme, advertise it to sites etc to say blah blah blah

Perfetic.....every single time I've had a electrical question telectrix has always had a answer for it and he's rated a trainee......

Who are the jib to rate you anyway, not higher than the guilds......
Anyone with abit of money behind them could start a scheme, advertise it to sites etc to say blah blah blah

you have to remember the jib was set up to look after its jib member companies and employees,wages training quals etc for electrical contractors,they set the standard for that,if you done an apprenticeship through a jib co you got your card and its benefits,why does suddenly everyone want a jib card,if your self employed or dont work in contracting for jib co's you dont need a jib card,if you want to work for a jib co you might need one.

People are calling for JIB to be the standard again....the present way JIB issue thier cards leaves alot of older sparks (due to not working/trainee for JIB firms) out on thier ear classed only as trainee's.

I'm self employed,did my time with a non JIB firm (not many firms around here are/were JIB)...if i now had to have a JIB card i'd be in the same boat as Teletrix.....Trainee...which is just wrong on so many levels.

not so. i obtained HND, Electrical Engineering in 1979. had 30 years exp.JIB classed me as trainee. bloody muppets.

No disrectful Tel, but was a HND in 1979 the recognized qualification needed to be a qualified electrician via an apprenticeship? such as the 2360, 2330 etc. This is what I mean!

And I know you know your stuff..... A lot more than me

My mate Rob is on the dole, can't find his certs(he's moved around a lot following his divorce)and can't afford to replace them, they told him if he can provide 10 years of work references they will consider what grade they will give him. I reckon he'll get something like trainee or labourer, what do you think guys?

had a chat with Leigh today about similar to this as i am currently doing the NVQ 3....he said it didn`t bother him as he was trading for himself and didn`t see the point in it....he did say though that if he went back onto sites for a company etc...he would get registered with em....

as far as i can remember if he got a job for a jib co and had all his certs they could then if they felt so apply for him by them to be graded as a jib electrcian,not certain if you could be graded as app elec before elec if he didnt do a jib apprenticeship,tho dont quote me on that..

anyway...got some fault finding to do tomorrow....lamps poping at a house....either crap lamps fitted ..or intermittant neutral-earth fault maybe....

No disrectful Tel, but was a HND in 1979 the recognized qualification needed to be a qualified electrician via an apprenticeship? such as the 2360, 2330 etc. This is what I mean!

And I know you know your stuff..... A lot more than me

i take your point. the HND was biased more towards industrial design, far too much theory, little practical ( company i did the apprenticeship with was more concerned with using apps. to do menial shop floor work. ) . as for electrical installation, at the time i didn't have too much idea, but my mindset has always been on the practical side. so i studied the books, the theory, did a part time course, got the practical experience working with a gem of a guy, did a few years repairing appliances, TVs, installing alarms, CCTV, maybe an unconventional way in, but it worked for me.

Only issue i have with the JIB is that from reading many posts it seem's that someone with over 20 years of electrical experience has to do NVQ 3 to be called a sparks now, 20+ yrs ago NVQ just didn't exist to my knowledge.

NVQ 3 has been around since the Eighties but changed in the 1990's putting the onus on the candidate to collect evidence.

My experience of many Colleges are that they are in many cases blinkered and only recognise the Apprenticeship - 2330, Keyskills, 2356 and AM2. As ou correctly point out, what about the guy's doing the job for years or those that have been trained in similar occupations such as the MOD? You can still become graded as a spark, just prove your competence to the JIB

as far as i can remember if he got a job for a jib co and had all his certs they could then if they felt so apply for him by them to be graded as a jib electrcian,not certain if you could be graded as app elec before elec if he didnt do a jib apprenticeship,tho dont quote me on that..
well the thing is i don`t know exactly how it works....there seems to be quite a few of these `JIB said this...said that` stories in here....

My mate Rob is on the dole, can't find his certs(he's moved around a lot following his divorce)and can't afford to replace them, they told him if he can provide 10 years of work references they will consider what grade they will give him. I reckon he'll get something like trainee or labourer, what do you think guys?

Only if he can prove competence as a labourer:lol:

Finish your dinner lads and you'll get the card. Simples!!!

Strange how the only people who slag the JIB off are either Electrical Trainee, mates, improver or 'technicians' from other occupations.

Like I said the JIB are the only ones keeping our industry serious and battling against what must be hundreds and hundreds of training centres.

please clarify other occupations...??

Reply to JIB told me I wasn't a spark.....? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock