Currently reading:
NICEIC Certification Scheme Joining NICEIC

Discuss Joining NICEIC in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

NO there are people here that have strong opinions based on proven Fact and not afraid to stand up/by those long standing ways of doing things.... If you interpret that as being god, then that's your problem. End Of!!...

Again. I am not talking about people's knowledge but there own perceptions of their own knowledge and the hostility in which they hold anyone else's knowledge or difference of opinion.

Opinions are not FACT.

Go back 30 years and find out what was required to even be assessed as an Aproveed Contractor let alone the assessment itself and compare those requirements to those of today and then tell me that i'm wrong!!! Facts speak for themselves!!

I never said you was wrong. I just said that IMO I think the approved contractor status is still regarded higher than other scams and the niceic's own domestic installer approval. It may not be regarded higher amongst some electricians/engineers but it certainly is when tendering for certain jobs/projects (even though this shouldn't be the case). It was only the the other day I was reading a thread on here where someone had been knocked back twice working for two different insurance companies as he wasn't a NICEIC approved contractor. Zurich's 10year guarantee for new builds used to specify the electrical installation had to be carried out by an NICEIC approved contractor (this might not be the case now but certainly was only a few years ago when I done a new build block of 75 flats). This might have something to do with the NIC and zurich being in cahoots though lol.

Go back 30 years and find out what was required to even be assessed as an Aproveed Contractor let alone the assessment itself and compare those requirements to those of today and then tell me that i'm wrong!!! Facts speak for themselves!!

I never said you was wrong. I just said that IMO I think the approved contractor status is still regarded higher than other scams and the niceic's own domestic installer approval. It may not be regarded higher amongst some electricians/engineers but it certainly is when tendering for certain jobs/projects (even though this shouldn't be the case). It was only the the other day I was reading a thread on here where someone on had been knocked back twice working for two different insurance companies as he wasn't a NICEIC approved contractor. Zurich's 10year guarantee for new builds used to specify the electrical installation had to be carried out by an NICEIC approved contractor (this might not be the case now but certainly was only a few years ago when I done a new build block of 75 flats). This might have something to do with the NIC and zurich being in cahoots though lol.

I know what yours saying, that's mainly because of all the spin marketing the NIC gets up too...

That's mainly because the NICEIC's ''Approved Contractor'' scheme has been around a good deal longer than any of the others. Basically the NICEIC are cashing in on the standards they no longer apply. Many of these organisations that call for NICEIC AC have no idea what they are specifying, they just mistaking believe that they are being covered by insisting on NICEIC as an industry Standard!!.... Unfortunately what was once considered as a standard of excellence, doesn't hold water anymore....

I know what yours saying, that's mainly because of all the spin marketing the NIC gets up too...

That's mainly because the NICEIC's ''Approved Contractor'' scheme has been around a good deal longer than any of the others. Basically the NICEIC are cashing in on the standards they no longer apply. Many of these organisations that call for NICEIC AC have no idea what they are specifying, they just mistaking believe that they are being covered by insisting on NICEIC as an industry Standard!!.... Unfortunately what was once considered as a standard of excellence, doesn't hold water anymore....

I know, they are that good at it it's almost subliminal lol

I hear what you are saying but surely this happens in all business. Look at Pimlico Plumbers or any big firm. Charge silly money but you are still getting the same bloke tightening up the connections on your distribution board.

We try and sell ourselves at being better than our competitors when in all honesty out workmanship (as a company) is only as good as the sparks doing the job on that particular day. This is what the NICEIC have done and done well.

I hear what you are saying but surely this happens in all business. Look at Pimlico Plumbers or any big firm. Charge silly money but you are still getting the same bloke tightening up the connections on your distribution board.

We try and sell ourselves at being better than our competitors when in all honesty out workmanship (as a company) is only as good as the sparks doing the job on that particular day. This is what the NICEIC have done and done well.

good old Charlie Mullins, you've got to take your hat off to that bloke. I don't know how he gets away with it lol

While reading all the replies, I can understand why engineer54 is frustrated with it being so easy to become approved contractor status, as it almost takes the nobility out of being accredited with something which was once extremely highly regarded at being the best at what we do. A part of me feels disappointed, that if and when I become AC status, it won't hold the same prestige or meaning as it once did in the eyes of electrical engineers and technicians who obtained there's when it did. I would like you all to know that even though I'm not the most experienced electrician or the most skilled (yet) my quality of work and conformance with BS7671 is of paramount importance to me, so hopefully engineer54 I'm not the only one and it is still important to the "New School" electricians to become of a standard which would please the "old school".

Reply to Joining NICEIC in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock