Discuss Just tried to change outside light ..Help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Newbie here
I have just bought a sensor led light that i wanted to replace outside light. There is a 1 way switch on internal wall

I've just tried to do it today and ......

And cannot get it to work

1. Old fitting worked with neutral, live and earth connected with a connecting block
2 Took old fitting down and connected led outdoor led light https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brackenheath-I1028B-20W-ispot-Ultra-thin-LED-Floodlight-Microwave-Sensor-Black/173724669715?epid=734223225&hash=item2872cc1713:g: YPAAAOSwZbVcMKOr:rk:1f:1&frcectupt=truewith a box as above , connected neutral to neutral, earth to earth and live to live
3 Switched on and did'nt come on
4. Thought maybe faulty light fitting so put a plug on it and it worked straight away plugged into socket
5. Tried new light fitting again with old connector block and nothing
6 Put old light fitting on and it worked

I thought it was just a matter of rewiring the existing 3 wires lol. Yes I will get an electrician out to check if it isn't something stupid that i should/shouldn't be doing

I cannot work this out and would appreciate some help, ill up load any pics if needed

thanks in advance

Ignore just come on as it got dark lol

must have been sensor although instructions said it should light up immediately after setting sensor settings lol

At the moment its on longer than the 5 minutes so must be just working with the switch

Ill go look at instructions again to get it back onto auto lol

thanks for looking

i feel a right dummy

On the back of the sensor there's two small dials. One controls light level and the other duration that the light is on.

On the back of the sensor there's two small dials. One controls light level and the other duration that the light is on.

yea seen these, although light is stoppi g on for longer than 5 mins

ive turned switch off for 10 seconds and back on again but light stops on

at least i can turn it on and off at the switch for the time being until i suss it out

thanks for the really quick replies

You've replaced a normal light fitting with one that uses a sensor.
You will not be able to operate the light directly from a switch. When you turn the switch on, it powers the sensor. Someone then has to be detected by the sensor for it to come on.

Some of these sensor lights have an override facility where you flick the switch on-off-on within a set time (a second or 2) and it brings on the light manually

You've replaced a normal light fitting with one that uses a sensor.
You will not be able to operate the light directly from a switch. When you turn the switch on, it powers the sensor. Someone then has to be detected by the sensor for it to come on.

Some of these sensor lights have an override facility where you flick the switch on-off-on within a set time (a second or 2) and it brings on the light manually

Yea i know , I don't want to use the switch on /off. i want to keep the switch permanently ON and use the sensors but at the moment I switch light switch on and light stops on all the time so I'm turning it off till I can take another look tomorrow

Thanks

Well light came on at 4-45 so that's working, however it stops on all the time, i position sensor to inner corner nearly facing the wall and it goes on for 2 seconds (so that,s working)

However its stopping on 2 seconds , going off 2 seconds and keeps repeating with maybe off for longer

ive put a towel over the light and sensor , but light is remaining on . Ive left towel on for 10 minutes and light still on

what am i doing wrong?

I have left towel over light and sensor, turned the mains power off for 30 seconds. Light came on and 10 minutes later its still on

Looks like i definately got a duff unit arghhhhh

Looking at the price that you paid compared to the manufacturers recommended price I would say the seller tends to spend a lot of time at auctions buying cheap and aiming to make a few quid on eBay.

That unit is either a factory second or bankruptcy stock. Either way the condensation should not be in the unit so I would hazard a guess that it may have been stored outside ion wet conditions for a long time.

My advice would be to get a refund for a faulty unit and buy one from a respected outlet such as a wholesaler, not some bloke off eBay.

Just got another , put it up

lux dial is set half way and came on at dusk as it should

time control dial is set to lowest - 2 seconds

light comes on for 2 seconds , goes off for 2 seconds and continues doing this repeatedly

Theres nothing triggering it off and ive faced sensor all ways

What the hell am i doing wrong lol

Reply to Just tried to change outside light ..Help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net