Discuss Kitchen appliance FCU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
It isn't a requirement for FCU's to be used for kitchen appliances ie dish washer or washing machine is it in a new build? I was thinking of just putting a double socket in a cupboard and plugging in the two appliance but have read about using FCU's and was wondering if this is a requirement or just a recommendation?
Thanks

Well I was just going to have the double socket as part of the kitchen RFC and not bother with fused spurs to the appliances. Is this ok practice still

For two heavy loads like these I personally would run a dedicated radial, but that's just my personal preference nothing to do with the Regs, others will say different I'm sure.

Sorry my apologise it will be a small dish washer and small under counter fridge. Running radials for appliances cant really be an option. The ring main would consist of 3 counter top doubles and a double low level (under sink) for dish washer and small fridge. Is this adequate? Just reading up on dilating appliances via fcu was mentioned and got me thinking is that how its required now or just a recommended way of doing things

Put in 2 separate single sockets on a dual surface box if its a WM and TD and keep on the ring or run in a separate 20a feed.
If its 2 smaller loads like DW and FF then a double socket on the ring or even spurred off the ring is fine

DO NOT cut off the manufacturer melded plug top

If you can provide evidence to the fact, that it can affect manufactures warranty (if thats what you're suggesting). That would be useful.

I've had a washing dryer & dishwasher adjacent to each other on an RFC, and the world didn't end. You have to remember these appliances are more efficient these days, although I'm sceptical with my current fuel bill.

the reason for fitting a FCU or a 20A 2 pole switch above worktop is basically to provide local isolation for the appliance without the need to pull the appliance out to unplug it. if the plug/socket/s are accessible, there's no need to fit FCU or D/P switch.
[automerge]1571381483[/automerge]
mornin' pete. up early?

Last edited:

Reply to Kitchen appliance FCU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock