Discuss Kitchen ceiling lights fire rating in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Kitchen ceiling lights fire rating F4CC6B17-39DB-4271-80DD-B5A7AED527F2 - EletriciansForums.net greetings :)
Was curious about the ceiling lights in the kitchen if they were fire rated or not.
Google was no help with model info.
There’s an F in a triangle symbol on the side, but I don’t know if that means anything.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Gary

Might have answered my own question!
Googled fire rating symbols and according to big brother, the lights are fire rated, suitable for mounting on normally flammable surfaces.
:)

That’s a good question. I fitted some recently and they were marked on the box and leaflet as fire rated but can’t see any relevant markings on the lamp fitting itself!

Think you’ll find an ‘F’ in a triangle means suitable for mounting on a flammable surface only.

A fire rated luminaire, as far as I’m aware, refers to its ability to resist the spread of a fire.
Agree. Perfect but you would have thought this fire rated ability would have its own mark!

Might have answered my own question!
Googled fire rating symbols and according to big brother, the lights are fire rated, suitable for mounting on normally flammable surfaces.
:)
Hi - apologies for repetition of what others have said - in its day I think the symbol means luminaire may be mounted on a flammable surface, say plywood. BUT that symbol says nothing about the luminaire’s fire rating. The lamp doesn’t look fire rated to me, just saying.

You would therefore think that a downlight would have BS476... on it somewhere.

I would be 99% certain that fitting is not fire rated. Why would it need to be anyway

Here's a thought... What does 'Fire rating' actually mean - there is no symbol on the unit (say a downlight) describing the fire rated properties (perhaps the box is marked or sold as 'fire rated'). There is little [manufacturers] information about how long it's fire rated for, so installing in a single plasterboard ceiling I would expect some confirmation that it is at least 30 mins. Nothing, no info. Except perhaps the intumescent pad / seal / ring that comes with it. Is this pad the fire rating? - if so what is the spec of the pad? if fitted without the pad, or comes without a pad - is it still fire rated? More [manufacturers] info needed here or do we need wait for the subsequent board of enquiry to decide it was or wasn't really 'fire rated'.

Reply to Kitchen ceiling lights fire rating in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock