Discuss Kitchen island socket back box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

Having a new kitchen and the Mrs wants a socket on the back end of the island, does anyone have any back box suggestions?

The socket will back onto a cupboard so I want to avoid a drywall back box due to it not being very sturdy.

I would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks

Dunk

If you can see the socket then only way is to put a fast fit box in or other get the kitchen fitter to knock up something for a knock out box.

As well as they usual galvanised back-boxes, you could use adapt something like the MK metal-clad back box to be flush-mounted as it will take the usual white domestic double sockets, etc, and will look a bit nicer from behind (and less risk of catching the back of your hand on any corners).

This sort of thing:
https://www.screwflix..com/p/mk-3-4-module-metal-clad-box/32511

What about a flush mounted worktop socket unit rather than a standard flush socket-outlet?

The thing

Less chance of the socket filling up with unwanted food items etc and can be dropped down when not required. These plug into a nearby socket-outlet and act as an extension lead so are designed for light use such as food mixers etc.

What about a flush mounted worktop socket unit rather than a standard flush socket-outlet?

The thing

Less chance of the socket filling up with unwanted food items etc and can be dropped down when not required. These plug into a nearby socket-outlet and act as an extension lead so are designed for light use such as food mixers etc.
Hi Strima,

I want to try and avoid a pop up socket because it will take up cupboard space and there's a sink on the island so likely to get splashed

galv. back box. fix inside with a couple of angle brackets.

Hi Strima,

I want to try and avoid a pop up socket because it will take up cupboard space and there's a sink on the island so likely to get splashed
OK, I get you now, I thought worktop mounted.

One option is to cut the shape of a 25mm patress box into the unit then use timber at the back to support it. This way you can mount a socket flush and still maintain the IP rating internally in the cupboard.

You can use a standard galvanised flush box and fix it into the sides of the cut out through the small holes near the front edge of the box.

Reply to Kitchen island socket back box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock