Discuss Landlords EICR and t&e sub mains without RCD in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All

Been doing a lot of EICR for landlords recently due to new legislation and agents i guess.
One common issue im finding even with relatively new (10 years) old installations is a T&E sub main.
Now some of these have a 100mA rcd .. or no RCD .. some are even wired in concentric cable.?..

My issue is that if they have no RCD we cant fit one because then we are putting the whole install on a single rcd which is no longer allowed and apart from that unwelcome by tenants when they need to go down stairs in the dark to find a RCD to reset every they plug in something rubbish.

So im left upgrading the submains to SWA ..as they should have been in the first place .. (they are typically buried in the wall and we cant prove they are more than 50mm deep) .
But in a few cases upgrading to SWA is a total nightmare if not impossible without destroying lots of the building to get them in.
Just wondering your thoughts on this and how you've been dealing with similar situations..or if you have any suggestions.
cheers
vitio

And then the landlord gets you to do remedials which include adding RCD protection for every circuit ? Can't be a bad thing.
Myself I code that particular instance a C3 in line with industry guidance.

Not being funny at all .. but can anyone explain to me how this is not potentially dangerous. .. adding in this particular case that's it's a tt system. .
But I would say it's potentially dangerous if it was tncs or tns

Yep.. it's really a requirement here..
But some persons I know have suggested that I do a eicr starting at the consumer unit in the flat and ignore the sub main..? as is external..
But really I'm not happy with this.

Not being funny at all .. but can anyone explain to me how this is not potentially dangerous. .. adding in this particular case that's it's a tt system. .
Avoiding the need for fault protection via RCD for TT for now, a different issue, the hazard that exists with buried cables only occurs when destruction of the wall and electrical installation occurs. If that is a defining parameter then a socket may be worthy of a C2 in case you hit it with a sledgehammer.

Hi - for TT I’d use a 100mA S type (time delayed) RCD up front for fault protection. The time delay is normally sufficient to allow the regular RCDs / RCBOs to trip for any final circuit faults.

You are the one C2ing it. You tell us what the potential danger is of cables in a wall with no RCD additional protection.

That won’t comply. Cables buried in walls need to have 30mA additional protection.
Oops, I forgot this was also a problem to be solved. If they’ve put the unprotected sub main in a wall less than 50mm then my 100mA S type is no good .

Personally I think the cost to install SWA or surface cabling is too high when compared to the safety improvement. If I was the landlord I would not bother installing additional RCD protection for cables in walls in these properties and ensure S Type 100mA RCDs were installed for all sub-distribution circuits on TT supplies.

Eerr
You can see a socket ....
You can't see a buried cable..
You can screw into the live then lick the screw ... if your that way inclined..
No operation of any protective device..
Is this not the point..?

Reply to Landlords EICR and t&e sub mains without RCD in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock