Discuss LED Light Strips in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

X

xantia31

Hi Guys
Im no electrician but hope you can help.
Ive recently fitted led light strips to my car. I had them on my prev car with no probs. Just disconnected the side lights and joined the 2 wires up!
Done the same on my Saab and when they engine is running with the lights turned off, they flash alternately. They also do this for about 2 mins after ive switched the car off and locked it up. Obviously they are picking up residual current and i can just drive with them on all the time but in the summer i would rather not.
I bought a couple of resistors (?? ) and tried fittin them in line i.e chopping the live feed and droppin it in but to no avail.
Any ideas?
Thanks
PS Sorry if this isnt the right place to ask this!
John

Hi Guys
Im no electrician but hope you can help.
Ive recently fitted led light strips to my car. I had them on my prev car with no probs. Just disconnected the side lights and joined the 2 wires up!
Done the same on my Saab and when they engine is running with the lights turned off, they flash alternately. They also do this for about 2 mins after ive switched the car off and locked it up. Obviously they are picking up residual current and i can just drive with them on all the time but in the summer i would rather not.
I bought a couple of resistors (?? ) and tried fittin them in line i.e chopping the live feed and droppin it in but to no avail.
Any ideas?
Thanks
PS Sorry if this isnt the right place to ask this!
John
I thought saab lights,like all swedish cars all stay on the whole time.If so you would need to fit a switch??Dunno about the flashing lights though,have you tried swopping the wires round,might be a polarity issue,as diodes are polarity sensitive.

im sure these lights are illegal (well depending on colour white at front and red at back are only ones legal iirc)

why not put them on a seperate switch

Sounds like maybe the ECU has detected something isnt right and its giving a warning.

Either that or its throwing a wobbly due to the load thats now been put on it.

Reply to LED Light Strips in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net