Discuss LED strip lighting, DMX decoders, power supplies, controllers....help! in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm not an electrician so I need help! I thought this would be a fairly straightforward job but there's so many options, I don't know which to choose. Basically, we have boxed around the edge of our lounge to allow for downlighters and LED strip lights to reflect off the ceiling. We need 18m in total (2x 5m and 2x 4m). I have sourced some CCT adjustable white 24V 5m strips with an output of 18W per metre:

CCT Colour Temperature Adjustable 2000 Lumes 120 LED Strip Light 24V DC 9W 2700K & 6500K (5 Metre Reel) - https://www.ultraleds.co.uk/cct-colour-temperature-adjustable-2000-lumes-120-led-strip-light-24v-dc-18w-2700k-6500k-5-metre-reel.html

One company my other half rang said we needed a DMX decoder and I understand that can handle all four strips:

Constant Voltage DMX512 Decoder SR-2102B - http://www.sunricher.com/constant-voltage-dmx512-decoder-sr-2102b.html

A controller:

www.sunricher.com/dmx512-cdw-dimmer-master-sr-2201.html

And a power supply….18m x 18W = 324 + 20% = 389W. It seems very difficult to find a power supply that will accommodate that much power and be dimmable.

So, I've got some questions I'd really appreciate some help with:

1) Is this even the best setup for what we're trying to achieve - dimmable, colour temperature changing white LED strips around the room? Is there a better option?
2) If this is right, what power supply would be appropriate?
3) The room is a rectangle - how best to join the strips? Solder or Hippo clips? Anything else?

Any other advice or alternative ways to achieve what we want would be welcome - thanks in advance!

Dan

So i have done a lot of this type of work with DMX and DALI control and proprietary protocols.

You will nead a 400w led driver or if you can split the strip into 2 sections it will be easier to get 2x 200w drivers.

Then the cct controllers that take the power from the driver and the controll input and output to the strip.

I would look at Gap Lighting for this as its easy to setup and expand in future.

Gap Lighting | Product Categories Controls - http://gaplighting.co.uk/product-category/controls/

Give them a call to sus the part numbers you need and they will point you to the best place to buy.

Wouldn't have thought that joining one strip to another would be suitable, you would likely be increasing the amount of current going through the first strip beyond it's design rating. I have only powered over 5m once but for the second strip I ran seperate conductors from the power supply

So i have done a lot of this type of work with DMX and DALI control and proprietary protocols.

You will nead a 400w led driver or if you can split the strip into 2 sections it will be easier to get 2x 200w drivers.

Then the cct controllers that take the power from the driver and the controll input and output to the strip.

I would look at Gap Lighting for this as its easy to setup and expand in future.

Gap Lighting | Product Categories Controls - http://gaplighting.co.uk/product-category/controls/

Give them a call to sus the part numbers you need and they will point you to the best place to buy.

Hi,

Thanks for that - I've seen reference to both DMX and DALI - what's the difference? Is one more suitable than the other for what I'm trying to do?

If I did this in two sections, would this require two zones on the controller? Basically, we want the lights to be controlled as one rather than having to change two controls to get the lights to do the same thing.

I agree with Dave. As I mentioned depending on the power needed I would take various feeds to your LED strip.

the output of your wall controller can probably handle 5mtrs of strip, If not you just take a output from the controller into an amplifier which is fed via a separate power supply.
You can just use as many amplifiers and power suppliers as you need.

Only trouble is there many be a slight delay with the strips power from the amps.

Hi,

Thanks for that - I've seen reference to both DMX and DALI - what's the difference? Is one more suitable than the other for what I'm trying to do?

If I did this in two sections, would this require two zones on the controller? Basically, we want the lights to be controlled as one rather than having to change two controls to get the lights to do the same thing.

Im with davesparks on this. Dmx and Dali are more complicated than you need.
With the Gap lighting system, the driver can be located anywhere. Power goes to the CCT Controllers which are located at the ends of the strips. (They are very compact). They are wirelesly linked to the wall plate or remote controlls.

Reply to LED strip lighting, DMX decoders, power supplies, controllers....help! in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock