Discuss LED Transformer - No Instructions Supplied in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I purchased a 100w LED Transformer (240v - 12v) from LED Hut. It came with no instructions. I contacted customer services and asked if I should switch at the input or output side of the transformer. The transformer has 2 outputs. I also asked LED Hut if each output was limited to 50w or if only one of the outputs were to be used could that be used up to a max of 100w. Their response was that they could not answer the question because they were not trained electricians and that I should consult a professional. I used to be a domestic installer but I career changed so I guess I can no longer class myself as professional. So my question to the professionals is: "is there any regulation that states that accessories such as this should be fitted iaw the manufacturers instructions"? Also is there any regulation that obliges the supplier to provide instructions? And lastly if there is a professional out there that can advise on my 2 technical questions regarding switching and outputs that would be greatly appreciated.

Generally switching would be performed on the 230Vac side to prevent permanently powering the power supply even though it should take minimal current when not connected to a load.
Generally a multi output driver can only output the maximum load divided equally between outputs, though there are exceptions.
There is no requirement I am aware of to supply instructions, or to install to the manufacturers instructions. Generally having both would be likely to be most successful; it is certainly possible that some non electrical regulation may require this.
The driver does not seem to specify on it, it is probably a generically printed label with only certain elements modified.
LED Transformer - No Instructions Supplied led driver12v 100w ip67 - EletriciansForums.net

1 -[if I should switch at the input or output side of thetransformer.] The switch should go on the input side of the transformer always.
2 - [The transformer has 2 outputs. I also asked LED Hut if each output was limited to 50w or if only one of the outputs were to be used could that be used up to a max of 100w].
Most likely you can put all 100w on any one set of terminals.
You do not have to put one on each.
Just make sure the cable can safely handle the load.

This is one of the many reasons I wouldn't use the likes of LED Hut. Not only do I not like the quality of what they are generally selling, but they don't seem to have a blooming clue as to what they are selling either.

If the resistance between the output positives and between the output negatives is near enough zero ohms (less than 0.1 ohms?) then the two outputs are probably connected to the same output internally. I would use both output cables paralleled up to share the current.

Reply to LED Transformer - No Instructions Supplied in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock