Discuss Legal/competent installations in small commercial premises in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mbow

Hi all,
hoping someone could advise me on. Im a sole trader domestic installer with Elecsa. I am being increasingly asked to to installations in small commercial premises like hair dressers, small retail shops and cafes but have been declining the work as I assumed I wouldnt be covered.

Am I right in my assumption? Would I legally be allowed to do installations in these premises and if so, how would I certify it and notify it?

There is nothing stopping you branching out into commercial/industrial as long as you feel you are this magical status of "competent". That is all you need.

You certify the work you do in exactly the same way as you would domestic, except there is no need to notify the work to building control, unless the commercial/industrial work shared services with a domestic dwelling. Part P explains all.

Your biggest concerns should be

1. There is chance of this being 3 phase work have you worked or tested 3 phase?
2. Insurance you may need to upgrade you liability insurance to work on 3 phase supplies.

thanks for your quick reply,

I havnt worked with 3 phase and would stay away from that until competent. Its useful to know that I can tap into a new area. Work is very welcome at the moment.

With regards to certificates. I complete an installation certificate after testing and leave with customer and that is it??

I must look at my insurance too.

Thanks

Reply to Legal/competent installations in small commercial premises in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi there sparkys! I work for a company who manufacture CT Clamps to measure current consumption. I'm a presales engineer, not an electrician...
Replies
Views
NICEIC Certification Scheme Getting accredited to
Looking for some advice regarding joining a CPS. I've been in the electrical industry in various roles for nearly 10 years. I started my...
Replies
Views
Sorry if this has been asked a lot but I can’t find the right answer, I will try and explain it the best I can do. I am looking to join a scheme...
Replies
Views
There are lots of discussions on forums about what is and isn’t Part P notifiable work. Everything I have done on the past or would want to do in...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 26818
D
Hi all. I am collecting evidence for a report on the current 'strategy' and trust given to the competent person schemes by the Communities and...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock