Discuss Leisure battery discharging too quickly when fully charged? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hello all..

2 years ago I fitted a solar panel to my shed, charge controller and battery. It has all been working fine, but recently it has been losing it's charge very quickly and the charge controller kicks in and turns the lights off.

The battery charges up to 13.7V but drops to 12.1V very quickly with only a small amount of power being used.

It is not a sealed battery, however I do not know how to determine if it needs topping up with distilled water? Also, what level do I fill it up to and also is this going to help with the discharge problem or is it beyond repair? I have not topped it up since fitting it.

I have attached a photo showing inside the battery, no fluid is visible.Leisure battery discharging too quickly when fully charged? battery - EletriciansForums.net

I’d try topping up with distilled water. Check for damage to the cells, easier said than done but bulging of the plates visible through the holes, battery case bulging out etc.

As long as the water is above the plates it will work.

Hello all..

2 years ago I fitted a solar panel to my shed, charge controller and battery. It has all been working fine, but recently it has been losing it's charge very quickly and the charge controller kicks in and turns the lights off.

The battery charges up to 13.7V but drops to 12.1V very quickly with only a small amount of power being used.

It is not a sealed battery, however I do not know how to determine if it needs topping up with distilled water? Also, what level do I fill it up to and also is this going to help with the discharge problem or is it beyond repair? I have not topped it up since fitting it.

I have attached a photo showing inside the battery, no fluid is visible.View attachment 43711
Discharge the battery completely and then fill up with battery acid and recharge, as long as the battery ain't completely knackered it should be OK.

I’d try topping up with distilled water. Check for damage to the cells, easier said than done but bulging of the plates visible through the holes, battery case bulging out etc.

As long as the water is above the plates it will work.
So the fact I can see the plates is not a good thing then?:oops:

you should be able to see the plates. but the water level should be above the top of the plates. if they are not buckled you might be OK with topping up.

As Tel mentioned the water/acid level should be just above the plates (if your wife walks up to you with a small plastic bottle in her hand then run, fast in the opposite direction)

Do you have a car battery charger as once you fill the battery with distilled water you could try to recharge it fully as most modern battery charge will try to recondition the battery by draining it then charging it fully before reconnecting it back in the shed, the old style batteries always needed to be checked to see if the fluid level hadn't dropped. Modern ones are sealed.

Hi bud...that battery looks older than me mum...what is the date of manufacture? A Decent brand will have a first use date and it should be easy enough to establish it's current state,with a controlled discharge test,from a full charge.

A vented battery like that should have its electrolyte level checked every few weeks / month if it is constantly on charge or being cycled. The rate at which it loses water depends critically on the float voltage and temperature. Optimum performance requires the correct acid concentration - as the water is driven off it gets more concentrated for a given state of charge, so the level should be maintained at the mark, often 8-10mm above the plates. Damage begins to occur as soon as parts of the plates are out of the electrolyte. Take care (e.g. eye protection) when adding water, if the acid is very concentrated it may fizz and bubble.

You could top up with distilled water, easiest and OK to test whether the battery is still usable (it might not be). This assumes all the acid is still present. Pete's suggestion to discharge, refill with acid and then recharge is what a battery shop would do in the old days to give it the best chance, as it ensures the concentration is correct. But I wouldn't personally go to those lengths as the plates might be useless already.

When a lead-acid is worn-out or damaged, it usually behaves much like a smaller battery in reasonable condition. The voltages will still look correct but the charge capacity will be a fraction of what it should be.

If you can top it up and borrow an intelligent charger like an Optimate that will run a test cycle on the battery it might be your easiest bet.

A vented battery like that should have its electrolyte level checked every few weeks / month if it is constantly on charge or being cycled. The rate at which it loses water depends critically on the float voltage and temperature. Optimum performance requires the correct acid concentration - as the water is driven off it gets more concentrated for a given state of charge, so the level should be maintained at the mark, often 8-10mm above the plates. Damage begins to occur as soon as parts of the plates are out of the electrolyte. Take care (e.g. eye protection) when adding water, if the acid is very concentrated it may fizz and bubble.

You could top up with distilled water, easiest and OK to test whether the battery is still usable (it might not be). This assumes all the acid is still present. Pete's suggestion to discharge, refill with acid and then recharge is what a battery shop would do in the old days to give it the best chance, as it ensures the concentration is correct. But I wouldn't personally go to those lengths as the plates might be useless already.

When a lead-acid is worn-out or damaged, it usually behaves much like a smaller battery in reasonable condition. The voltages will still look correct but the charge capacity will be a fraction of what it should be.
Thankyou lucien for that detailed and interesting reply. I have topped it up with Distilled water and will let it charge for a few days (solar panel) before using it. I cant see any mark to show what level to fill it to though. I have filled it just above the plates. In total I had to put in 1/3L of distilled water.

Reply to Leisure battery discharging too quickly when fully charged? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock