Discuss Lewden Control Gear Direct no longer manufactured? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Richard Burns

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have just heard that Lewden / Control Gear Direct have stopped producing their circuit protective devices as of 13th May, is this anything anyone else has heard of or can confirm?
I have used a fair number of their consumer units and RCBOs and will be nonplussed if I now have to tell customers I cannot get parts for them.
Presumably stock will be available for a while but it will be a nuisance if it is correct.

I would be a bit annoyed too. Where did this info come from Richard ?
I would be surprised to be honest as they have just spent the last couple of years rebranding it all, making it widely available, and bringing out spd ranges for the 18th edition. Wholesalers have been talking about new populated rcbo CU deals lately too.

Actually.... Just to add to this... Ordered a control gear switch fuse from denmans today, just opened box and its branded lewden... So perhaps they are phasing out the old branding after all.

I would be a bit annoyed too. Where did this info come from Richard ?
I would be surprised to be honest as they have just spent the last couple of years rebranding it all, making it widely available, and bringing out spd ranges for the 18th edition. Wholesalers have been talking about new populated rcbo CU deals lately too.

I was told in the wholesalers that they had tried to get some Lewden breakers and been informed they were stopping production.

just emailed Lewden and got a really quick reply which was nice, the control gear site got closed as they merged head office into Lewden's in Braintree, and all control gear branded stuff will remain available at Denmans
I assume that the wholesaler heard "head office closing down" and assumed the worst. Thanks for following up. I think most of the stuff I have is now Lewden branded. Luckily the manufacturer does permit mixing of their own breakers, probably.

And breathe....

Old thread but an update. The old Lewden Mcb’s have been replaced with a new design that does not fit the old design. The buzz bar termination is approx 5 mm further back so in order to fit you would have to bend the buzz bar.
denmans have informed me theyhave some old stock left but once they are gone there Gone.
Really annoying.
I needed a C20 mcb and non of the older design was available.
the board I needed the mcb for is only 2 years old. Do have to swap the board. Ridiculous. Surely Lewden need to carry on producing parts for several years after selling the boards for such instances as this. Car manufacturers do this with discontinues ranges of car.

I have just heard that Lewden / Control Gear Direct have stopped producing their circuit protective devices as of 13th May, is this anything anyone else has heard of or can confirm?
I have used a fair number of their consumer units and RCBOs and will be nonplussed if I now have to tell customers I cannot get parts for them.
Presumably stock will be available for a while but it will be a nuisance if it is correct.

According to lewden… they stopped the Range CGD with a target logo printed. They still manufacturer devices under their name Lewden. It will fit in to the existing fsbbut with a slight modification. CGD fuse box busbar had wider finger than the new fsb. So to be able to use new devices you may have to file about 2 to 3 mm of the busbar finger.
Hope this will help you

I think it's just the control gear side. Lewden are still manufacturing and have released a miniature SN RCBO recently.
Might be worth emailing Lewden and asking for a declaration letter to say that they are happy installing CG and Lewden branding devices in the same enclosure.

Yes lewden is very happy to use lewden brand with cgd….they bought out CGD….. So won't jeopardize their future business… the technical also confirmed that busbar fingers on CGD may be bit wider so taking 1 or 2 mm off to slide the new version

Yes lewden is very happy to use lewden brand with cgd….they bought out CGD….. So won't jeopardize their future business… the technical also confirmed that busbar fingers on CGD may be bit wider so taking 1 or 2 mm off to slide the new version
Have they confirmed that in writing? In particular that they comply for type testing purposes to BS EN 61439-3 so that 16kA pfc can be used?

I'm trying to get a list together of ones that are confirmed as compatible so would be useful to see how they word it.

not entirely happy to go shaving a busbar, even by 1/2mm without very clearly manufacturers instructions that it doesn't compromise anything...

Have they confirmed that in writing? In particular that they comply for type testing purposes to BS EN 61439-3 so that 16kA pfc can be used?

I'm trying to get a list together of ones that are confirmed as compatible so would be useful to see how they word it.

not entirely happy to go shaving a busbar, even by 1/2mm without very clearly manufacturers instructions that it doesn't compromise anything...

I agree… one shouldn't have to modify the busbar… since technical confirmed that CGD was marketed by lewden and lewden bought out them… it is in lewden interest not to shske the boat. Ask them the questions ?they will explain

Afaik its now identical bar the stickering, even has the lewden address printed on each conponent, and if you buy the spds for the control gear boards your given a kewden branded one.

Reply to Lewden Control Gear Direct no longer manufactured? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock