Discuss Light switches problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jonesy76

We have two switches to our main light fitting which has 4 spotlights. Both switches have others that service other rooms and they work ok. Other lights in the room work ok. Connections in the fitting are fine and nothing tripped on the fuse board. Any thoughts from anyone out there very much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Have you tried the switch wire (in and out) on one of the switches you know to work. That would either eliminate or prove the switches to be faulty. Or have you checked for continuity between both sides of the switches.

When did they stop working....could it be related to other works done perhaps.

Not sure what you are expecting by way of an answer here....there will either be a problem with the switches,the wiring,fittings or lamps. Hard to tell which from behind a keyboard.

Is it just me, or am I still waiting for the issue to be posted? The OP has told us what works, but hasn't really told us what the issue is?

At least you fully understand the OP's post mate, which is more than what I do.

This I how I interpret it.

"We have two switches to our main light fitting which has 4 spotlights. Both switches have others that service other rooms and they work ok."

The OP has 2 light switches that switch on the main light. These switches also control other lights in other rooms.

"Other lights in the room work ok."

The lights in the other rooms work fine using the two switches, so there is nothing wrong with the switches.

"Connections in the fitting are fine and nothing tripped on the fuse board."

He has checked the lamps in the main light and they seem fine. No breakers have tripped.

So his main light don't work, but his switches that switch on the light work with the other lights in the other rooms, just not the main light.

Is this what other see???

Is this what other see???

To me it reads like he has 2-way switching for his main light - however, each point is multi-gang and has switches for other lights (so a separate gang for wall lights, passage light etc). These other gangs work, but his main light doesn't. However, he hasn't told us whether it's the light that doesn't work, or only when the 2-way switching is a specific selection. I think I'd be inclined to bypass each switch temporarily to see if the problem lies within that particular gang for that particular switch.

Spoon, on a slightly different note (ok, totally different note), what the hell is going on with your profile page? I think I've just had an epileptic fit.

Spoon, on a slightly different note (ok, totally different note), what the hell is going on with your profile page? I think I've just had an epileptic fit.

What, with regards to the colours or something else?..... ah, are you checking me out mate? :)

haha.. Do the colours not go together??? :) Thanks for not posting the friends list section of my profile page. I don't want people to see I'm just a sad grumpy guy with only one friend.... :( I know that everyone thinks I'm great on this form.... I did have another friends but she turned out to be a he....... :)

I did have another friends but she turned out to be a he....... :)

Ah now come on, with words like that you're going to summon "the Tel"..... or gods help us Geordie might even come forth.

Damnit, is this another thread I've participated in going massively off topic? I've a theory - if the OP responded quicker to questions asked, threads wouldn't derail so quickly.

And I thought it was just me that got the posts going off at a tangent.

arrgh, tangents,small brightly coloured oranges. bitter skin, a bit like spoon's profile page. either colour generally used for hi=viz vests and jackets, which brings me onto potatoes, the most versatile vegetable there is, boiled, fried, mashed, chipped, roasted, which is what i should be after this silly post. :24:

haha.. I thought discrimination against colours was not allowed on this forum..... :)

arrgh, tangents,small brightly coloured oranges. bitter skin, a bit like spoon's profile page. either colour generally used for hi=viz vests and jackets, which brings me onto potatoes, the most versatile vegetable there is, boiled, fried, mashed, chipped, roasted, which is what i should be after this silly post. :24:

It even extends to their packaging...... the sack...... a popular fashion accessory for some people! :)

Reply to Light switches problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net