Discuss Lights wired into central heating circuit ? Is this safe ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I recently moved into a flat to find that my top floor main light is wired into central heating circuit, along with bathroom towel rail .

As a result the light only works if the immersion heater , boost or central heating is on ! Aside from being ridiculous and extremely inconvenient in summer / context of electricity costs. Is this allowed/legal from a saftey regs perspective ? I am renting and landlord could not care less. Are they any risks to having things wired like this ?

Thanks

More just damn annoying rather than not safe… depending on the workmanship of course…

You could…. “Accidentally” fall down the stairs and claim the lights went off half way down.

Are you sure the landlord doesn’t care about it? Ask them by letter or email to have it investigated.
Sometimes people just assume all landlords are crooked, can’t/ won’t repair anything etc… but in reality there are more good ones than bad.

More just damn annoying rather than not safe… depending on the workmanship of course…

You could…. “Accidentally” fall down the stairs and claim the lights went off half way down.

Are you sure the landlord doesn’t care about it? Ask them by letter or email to have it investigated.
Sometimes people just assume all landlords are crooked, can’t/ won’t repair anything etc… but in reality there are more good ones than bad.
Thanks, yes sadly quite sure, the approach to maintenance / repairing issues - I also have a delightful new uplighter in the lounge which perfectly highlights the badly filled hole from the previous light fitting, looks like it was done with a fork.

The approach is spend least amount of money vs quality.

Why put in a new plug socket to power the washing machine and hen you can just drill through the wall and utilise the plugs in the kitchen - why would anyone want to make a cup of tea while they wait for the cycle to finish.

Were you given a copy or sight of the electrical installation condition report (E.I.C.R) for the flat just before or at the start of the tenancy as required by the Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 ?

As snowhead said (this document is essential, if you are not supplied with one it's something like a £30,000 fine for the landlord now), and in addition it can only be deemed unsafe if the breaker is not suited for the cable supplying the lights (if the lighting is fed via a switched/unswitched fused connection unit then it may also be suitable). Simply put, you need someone with suitable competence to assess (likely an electrician).

As a result the light only works if the immersion heater , boost or central heating is on
I'm still trying to work out how anyone has managed to arrange any one of those three things to result in a feed to a light.
I'd be surprised if it were safe unless it's been fused down, which seems unlikely.

As @DMElec.1 says it needs looking at.

The fact it works through either the heating, or the immersion… which should be a separate circuit… suggests it’s on the switch side of hot water thermostat… turning off however the water is heated up.

The issue is some of these control circuits may only be in 0.75mm at times through a wiring centre…

It needs checked and sorted.
Can local council not demand he fix it?

The fact it works through either the heating, or the immersion… which should be a separate circuit… suggests it’s on the switch side of hot water thermostat… turning off however the water is heated up.
Thank you, I was trying to think creatively but stopped short of that!

Not sure if these sort of set ups violate the regs on 'electrical separation' but it definitely needs changing.

Not sure if these sort of set ups violate the regs on 'electrical separation' but it definitely needs changing.

No 'electrical separation' refers to the protection method where a supply which is speared from earth is used as a means of protecting against electric shock.

Shaver sockets are an example of electrical serpation being used, and are usually the only place it would be used in a domestic installation.

No 'electrical separation' refers to the protection method where a supply which is speared from earth is used as a means of protecting against electric shock.

Shaver sockets are an example of electrical serpation being used, and are usually the only place it would be used in a domestic installation.
What i mean is keeping circuits separate is done to ensure safety, i remember answering a question about it on my 18th edition exam, just can't remember the exact reg.

Immediate thoughts were;

131.7 Protection against power supply interruption

Where danger or damage is expected to arise due to an interruption of supply, suitable provisions shall be made int he installation or installed equipment.

132.10 Disconnecting devices

Disconnecting devices shall be provided so as to permit switching and/or isolation of the electrical installation,circuits or individual items of equipment as required for operation, inspection, testing, fault detection, maintenance and repair.

Effective means, suitably placed for ready operation, shall be provided so that all voltage may be cutoff from every installation, from every circuit thereof and from all equipment, as may be necessary to prevent or remove danger.

Good workmanship by one or more skilled or instructed persons and proper materials shall be used in
the erection of the electrical installation. The installation of electrical equipment shall take account of manufacturers'
instructions.

Fundamentally non-compliant, would say C3 but would push for C2 depending if the lighting is on the boiler circuit or boiler on lighting circuit. If your boiler doesn't work your lighting won't come on so could be argued potentially dangerous (as would not be immediate where the fault lie, whereas if your lighting works but your boiler doesn't, I wouldn't give it the same gravity.

Immediate thoughts were;

Where danger or damage is expected to arise due to an interruption of supply, suitable provisions shall be made int he installation or installed equipment.

Disconnecting devices shall be provided so as to permit switching and/or isolation of the electrical installation,circuits or individual items of equipment as required for operation, inspection, testing, fault detection, maintenance and repair.

Effective means, suitably placed for ready operation, shall be provided so that all voltage may be cutoff from every installation, from every circuit thereof and from all equipment, as may be necessary to prevent or remove danger.

Good workmanship by one or more skilled or instructed persons and proper materials shall be used in
the erection of the electrical installation. The installation of electrical equipment shall take account of manufacturers'
instructions.

Fundamentally non-compliant, would say C3 but would push for C2 depending if the lighting is on the boiler circuit or boiler on lighting circuit. If your boiler doesn't work your lighting won't come on so could be argued potentially dangerous (as would not be immediate where the fault lie, whereas if your lighting works but your boiler doesn't, I wouldn't give it the same gravity.

The only one of those you can really use is good workmanship.

Immediate thoughts were;

instructions.

Separate circuits shall be provided for parts of the installation which need to be separately controlled,
in such a way that those circuits are not affected by the failure of other circuits, and due account shall be taken of
the consequences of the operation of any single protective device

Separate circuits shall be provided for parts of the installation which need to be separately controlled,
in such a way that those circuits are not affected by the failure of other circuits, and due account shall be taken of
the consequences of the operation of any single protective device
Was thinking this too but was focussing on c13, 131.7 seemed to cover "borrowed" conductors

Reply to Lights wired into central heating circuit ? Is this safe ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock