Discuss lost tester at wholesalers in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

kiwi

-
Reaction score
I took my megger mft 1552 in for calibration it was a year old and in mint condition. They lost it! after being fobbed off for a few days while they looked for it eventually they leant me one.Had to go back to jobs to test them,not happy! Eventually they said they will get me a new replacement,This happens and they try to give me an ex demo that looks like it had been bounced round the back of somebodies van!! I said this was not acceptable and gave it back. They said they would get me a new one this time, wrong. They have given me (the wife,as Im working away) another ex demo in a bit better nick than the other one but not new.Anybody know what my rights may be with this, I know the mft1552 and 1553 are now obsolete I just want a tester back that I know is ok and not going to cause no end of problems after being passed around.
Any advice is much appreciated as just dont know what to do,Thankyou.

You don,t just lose a meter,its been nicked!so if it was me i,d ring the police and report it as stolen which technically it has been,this should persuade the wholesaler to up their game and sort it out.the definition of theft is to permenantly deprive someone of their property which they are doing and not offering you a replacement makes it worse.

Go to see a solicitor mate, you can get a fixed fee interview where they take the details quickly and give you outline advice, if you decide to go further they'll go into more depth. It's the only way imho.
As The Clash said, know your rights.

I would get on to the managing director and tell him,im sure he /or she would be mighty embarrased by all this and would insist on giving you a brand new unit asap.they would not want the bad press.

They haven't lost it, they just don't know which shelf in which branch it's sitting on.:59:

i get Mike Olding from on site calibration to turn up and calibrate my meter whilst im there. Last time though, itwouldnt calibate properly because of Electrical nloise on the treatment works i was at and he took it away and posted it back for no extra.

Forget going through a wholesaler for calibration , its just another layer of charges , delays and possible **** ups.
I used a company via ebay - dirt cheap , 48hr turnaround and free postage - whats not to like.

A pointed letter (recorded delivery) to the company director, cc'd to branch management should prompt return of your old tester/new tester.

Thanks very much for your help have sent a letter and will keep you posted of results. Would be interested in the ebay service sounds a winner. Thanks to all once again.

Write to them and tell them that you hold them responsable for losing the meter also attach a copy of the invoice on when you bought it also make it abundantly clear that you gave them a 1552 in mint condition and you want the same one back or a direct replacement if they say well the 1700 series has replaced this then thats their problem remind them that offering you a battered old 1552 is just not on so if you dont mind I want a full refund on what I paid for it dont get a credit note as they will want you to get a 1700 and pay the difference remember put it in writing via registered post this will get their attention and stop taking or making phone calls as these are not worth the paper they are written on also add to your complaint that if you do not get a full refund less the calibration charge then you will persue your claim via small claims

Loss of work would be a grey area, unless you have proof they said it will be returned in x amount of days as they will see it as well you have to lose it for a period of time anyway.

Although it could be worth getting a solicitor involved or at least going to your local trading standards department to get some advice which would be free of charge, plus they will probably argue your case for you and make them work a little quicker in resolving the issue.

Does the wholesaler have a facebook page?

I can confirm from experience, business DO NOT like bad publicity that is instantly visible to 100's or 1000's of people!

Been there, done that, got the replacement!

Finally got a result, a new replacement to the lost/stolen 1552 with a new 1730. After having an account with this large chain wholesalers for over 22 years I have closed my account and taken my trade elsewhere.Thanks once again to everyone for their advice.

Reply to lost tester at wholesalers in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock