Discuss Low Voltage Downlighters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

azzb

-
Reaction score
Hi, i am looking downlighters for one of my bedrooms. I was told by a friend some downlighters the low voltage ones use 1 tranformer and all the downlighters plug into it. Could you point me in the right direction?

Many Thanks
Aaron
Apprentice

One of the larger DIY stores do a downlight kit that has one transformer with about 3 or 5 fittings.

However, these lights can only be spaced as far as the lead is between them, which is not very much.

You would be better off getting separate lights and transformers. That way it gives the option of how many and where you want to put them in the ceiling.

You should only install downlighters that are fire-rated. The hole you create for the downlighter is a route for fire into the floor above or loft. Fire-rated downlights are designed to assist in preventing this happening. They cost more money - but you are advised to get them.

Also check to see what is above the ceiling. Make sure you provide sufficent ventilation to allow heat to move away from the fittings. EG no insulation within 6 inches of the fitting. Not doing so could cause overheating, etc.

It is sometimes better to use one transformer per light fitting. Sometimes transformers stop working - hence only affecting one light. Also make sure they are easy to get to should you need to change them.

hi im thinkin of fittin 3 downlights in my bathroom 240v 50w am i rite in sayin thy must be low volage ones for in the bathroom if this is the case i'll have to giv the 240 volt 50w ones a miss any ideas???

hi im thinkin of fittin 3 downlights in my bathroom 240v 50w am i rite in sayin thy must be low volage ones for in the bathroom if this is the case i'll have to giv the 240 volt 50w ones a miss any ideas???

No. You can fit 230V GU10 50W downlights in your bathroom but they will need to be protected by an RCD. Or you could also install 12V 50W downlights ( requiring transformers ).

If lights are to be installed over baths or near to showers, I'd recommend 12V.

yeah thy are gu10 i wasnt realy sure about fitting em cos thy not fire rated, i'll propley be fitting em out side all zones i didnt wona take any chances with guy frm N I C when he comes out for me assessment ya knw wot thy like :-/ lol

Fire rated down lights will not stop a fire spreading...they have little holes in the top...all they do is shorten lamp life. They however do/can possible prevent a fire from a said fitting, assuming you do not cover with straw.

Try it, cover the fire rated downlight (assuming halogens) above with tissue paper, it will ignite, just like a none fire rated downlight.

It can't happen? well birds, rats, bees all nest in a nice warm place most use straw etc. It's a con, halogens get hot very hot fire rated or not, cover them they will cause a fire...use led's.

I believe fire rated can be worst because the small holes act like a flu, extreme tempratures thru the flu so to speak. But hey no one listens to me -;)

Fire rated downlights are designed to prevent the spread of fire, not stop them from setting things alight.

They still have to be installed in exactly the same way as non fire rated ie, clear of insulation etc.

Reply to Low Voltage Downlighters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock