Discuss Mains supply coming through door frame in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lizztizz

DIY
Reaction score
We are having our 1930s house (recently purchased) rewired. We’ve noticed that the mains supply enters the house through our front door frame. Our electrician advised contacting the power network to recite but the prices of this look huge! Is there any workaround, such as moving the cable further up above the door frame?

Attachments

• Mains supply coming through door frame 884E2150-A400-4483-9700-956D7D4BD57A - EletriciansForums.net
    884E2150-A400-4483-9700-956D7D4BD57A.png
    497.3 KB · Views: 78
It is hard to see.
However, the only people who can move that cable are the network operators.
Electrician is not allowed to interfere with cables before the meter.

I would have thought it would cost about £300
But I could be wrong

That does not look like the main incomer going through your door it looks like a cable going out by the colour of it. You need to get some light on the picture and a picture from outside would also help to give a better clue as to the situation. Can we get that from you?

Sorry everyone! I agree, the photo is rubbish. It’s a screen grab from a video so awful quality. I’ll try and take a better (and updated) photo. You’ll be horrified when you see what’s under the consumer unit in the new photo- spoiler alert, mould from flood from bathroom above ??‍♀️

We were thinking it could be up to 3k to recite as UK Power Network on their website seem to suggest reciting mains is an involved job with digging etc. Hopefully it’s not as expensive this!

It should not be thousands, all they have to do is pull it out of frame, drill new hole in wall and reconnect.

What you are reading on there website is where you want a supply cable moving to a different part of the building.

I presume you are leaving the meter where it is at the moment?

It should not be thousands, all they have to do is pull it out of frame, drill new hole in wall and reconnect.

What you are reading on there website is where you want a supply cable moving to a different part of the building.

I presume you are leaving the meter where it is at the moment?
We were thinking of moving it to the side of the house, but if it’s going to cost thousands then we’re very happy to leave as is. If the cable can just be moved up so it’s no longer coming through the door frame that would be great as we need to replace the door.

Also worth noting that overhead supply s likley to be much cheaper to reposition to other part of the same wall than underground cables.

Send the enquires to them and find out the real quoted costs before worrying about it.

Looks too thin to be the incomer.

Okay! New pictures, hopefully better ?

Attachments

• Mains supply coming through door frame 49F702DE-27B8-488D-8B52-CC373BDC1F0F - EletriciansForums.net
    49F702DE-27B8-488D-8B52-CC373BDC1F0F.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 51
  • Mains supply coming through door frame 7FADA32C-5E73-4B63-A90A-A7844F68E71C - EletriciansForums.net
    7FADA32C-5E73-4B63-A90A-A7844F68E71C.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Mains supply coming through door frame 77FB7D0D-D69A-4F8F-881E-28C22C0899E5 - EletriciansForums.net
    77FB7D0D-D69A-4F8F-881E-28C22C0899E5.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 51

Reply to Mains supply coming through door frame in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock