Discuss Mains supply coming through door frame in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Attachments

• 08730659-A717-4220-8BFE-C99F28D97039.jpeg
    80.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 513654E0-41E7-40AE-AA02-BC1E2288225B.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 42
The thick white cable becomes the thick black one of the side of the house

Attachments

• 0B24C088-48B3-4B27-9EAA-FF8C71534108.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 43
  • 596F6AF1-A6BE-4834-9BDF-3B10750135E1.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 51
When we contact the power network, should I be making the case that it’s been fitted through the doorframe and so incorrectly fitted in the fist place? Or would that be not true?
Ask them to come out and look at it. It's not unreasonable for someone to want to change their door frame at some point in the future.

that cable should never have been installed like that in the first place. phone DNO and insist that they move it FOC. alternatively find a wood butcher with more than 2 brain cells to cut the door frame round it carefully and then he will have a reason to use his hammer ( knocking the cable out of the way for the new door frame ). cable remains OK...... winner. cable gets damaged and sparks fly... DNO repair what you pay your standing charge for...... winner. and while they're at it, get them to convert to PME..... winner.

i could always fly down there ( first class ), sort it out, move it. provide a certificate to say that it's always bee like that. only £1500).

Just to update you all, the Power Network is saying we will have to pay to have the mains relocated. No info yet on price as we have to put an application in. However I am told that they have an approved list of electricians on the LLoyd Register who could also do the job, maybe quicker and cheaper???
They are willing up upgrade our power however for free and also remove our neighbours ‘piggybacking’ off our line.
Keeping an my fingers crossed it’s a straightforward relocation that doesn’t incur too much cost ??

if they are willing to upgrade your supply FOC, then they will have to reroute that cable as it's not compliant.

if they are willing to upgrade your supply FOC, then they will have to reroute that cable as it's not compliant.
Oh really? We have a site visit coming up they suggested we discuss it with the engineers then. Perhaps they’ll take a look at it in person and give us more of an idea of what’s possible

Stick to your guns.

your not asking them to move the position, which is what they quoted for.... you’re asking them to fix something that wasn’t done right in the first place.
They said that they would not have installed something that is unsafe and so it’s either been done correctly or the previous owner got a cowboy to do it. I asked if the latter was the case, would they still charge us to correct it and didn’t get an answer to that, other than discuss when the engineers come out. I think there is a limit to what the person on the phone (who seems like a phone operator) can tell you or help you.

to upgrade the power, the meter tails need upgrading to 25mil which will also incur a charge! So it’s not really like we are getting that for free either.

we’re going to ask our electrician to be at the site visit when they come as we feel a little over our heads.

Reply to Mains supply coming through door frame in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net