Discuss Maintenance engineer qualifications transferable to domestic? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jturn101

Hi guys just wanting a bit of clarification regarding qualifications. I've worked as an Electrically bias maintenance engineer for around 4 years now but I've been working with an electrician on my days off and plan to do this full time. I've got an NVQ Level 3 in electrical maintenance engineering which i gained through an apprenticeship, but I want to do my AM2 and gain my JIB card. Was wondering if I'd be able to add to my existing qualifications rather than do another full course. I understand I'll need 17th edition and will probably get my test and inspect too. I've noticed XS training may be the route to go if I need to get another nvq qualification however I don't want to do it if I don't need to. Cheers

I think that with your NVQ, you will only be able to get a Maintenance Electrician card.
Yes you need the 17th, but I would suggest that you look into just sitting the exam rather than doing a course.
Obtaining the I&T qualifications may allow you to be graded as Approved, without having to bother with 'domestic' qualifications?
It may be an idea looking into the JIB 'mature candidates assessment' scheme.

Word of advice, don't bother phoning the ECS with any queries, all they do is run the scheme for the JIB. Contact the JIB direct, they will be able to give advice.

Thanks for you help, I'll have a look at the mature candidate scheme and see if that would be the best route.

Reply to Maintenance engineer qualifications transferable to domestic? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock