Discuss Metal Skirting Trunking in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

chloebear

Any of you guys got any good ideas for mounting D/G 13amp socket outlets in metal skirting trunking? the site I am on has metal skirting trunking which has small sections with pre-cut holes for the mounting of faceplates - trouble is the trunking is so old and no identification markings to enable me to get hold of any of the pre-cut sections for the new sockets I am fitting.
I can mount them above the trunking, but in most cases there is additional plastic mini trunking running along the top edge, so not ideal - + the top is shamfered.
Any good sugestions for cutting out holes in the metal lid to enable the fitting of the faceplates or anyone know of any other great way of achieving this???

drill holes in the corners of the hole you want, then use a jigsaw with metal cutting blade. might be able to do it with a fein multitool.

To be honest a couple of years back in a factory we had the same thing. all we did was cut the lid to so you have an 8/9" section of it, made up a template which allowed the sockets to fit inside the gap slot the lid ,fit and glue the plastic grommet strip around the slot, drill and tap out 3.5mm holes and then fitted the trunking lid with self tappers to the lip.

I wanted to make a proper job and have internal flanges welded on the lid section so that the terminations would have been covered up if someone wanted to drop the trunking lid, or if you were fishing new cable in, but that was deemed too costly.

25mm dual box, cut the lid just smaller than the boxes perimeter then use the spare lugs top and bottom with some 3.5 to fix it to the lid then you've got the back of the faceplate covered. I know it's not ideal as its two separate single socket plates, I did try and have a look for the old style MK 6 lug double boxes but they must have pulled them from production.

Or if your not worried about having the back exposed. Panel frames should do the trick

http://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Pro...aryProducts/boxes/metalframe/Pages/K2202.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember doing some in a bank about 15yrs ago, only option for more sockets was to cut the lid and i slopped in plaster board boxes and the lugs gripped the lid. No worry of sharp edges as enclosed.

Reply to Metal Skirting Trunking in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock