Discuss MFT shows 235V, Drummond tester says dead, no live present in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The Ghost

Attended call out at shop. Freezers, chillers and tills were down. Using MFT on V. measurement got 235V plugged into socket. Tested inside socket at terminals with drummond tester, nothing 0 V. Switched MFT to Loop and the neutral was missing. Just a bit puzzled why the MFT shows V. and Drummond 0 V. The neutrals in the neutral block had cooked away, loose neutrals and so on. I would post a pic but the forum does not allow me to post any pics any more.

It's easy to get caught out. Some time back I tested a socket at the terminals with an older 2 probe voltage tester both L-N and L-E. Dead. Disconnected socket and promptly got a handful off the live. Turned out the N had gone missing and the earth had never been connected.
The moral being always follow safe isolation procedure and use an approved 2 probe voltage tester which indicates voltage even if only one conductor is present.

Never assume! Check the instructions for your particular MFT as the voltage measurement strategy varies between models. E.g. I think the Megger 1500 displays the L-E voltage by default, while the 1700 series displays the highest voltage present between any pair of leads if all are connected. So could display L-E or L-N, or even N-E if L is missing.

Some times my MFT, when set to test Zs , will show no volts, yet I know there there is power there.
I switch the MFT off then on again, re-test and then it reads the voltage. I wouldn’t be trusting a MFT to verify if a circuit is live or dead.

Just so you know guys...I would not even stick your hands where they shouldn't be without using a BS61010 BS EN 61243-3 GS38 approved two pole voltage tester so please try not to worry about me using the wrong equipment for the job but thanks for your concern in any event. I was merely highlighting the caution regards why not to use MFT (Which we all know we should not) I think as @buzzlightyear said the voltage indicator is not needed as it is may be dangerous not just undesirable.

The voltage indicator setting is sometimes useful for say measuring voltage present at various points for volt drop etc

Looking at my Kewtech 65DL to test for voltage you must use the L and PE terminal for the leads, not the neutral. But what was useful using the three lead plug top lead, is it showed the missing neutral. So I knew where to look for the problem or took a well educated guess I should say.

interesting...... soon as i've had my breakfast smoke to kick-start the old lungs, going to have to connect 1553 to a socket with the N dissed.see what it says. no animals will be hurt during the course of the experiment.

an approved 2 probe voltage tester which indicates voltage even if only one conductor is present.
This is wrong and a dangerous misunderstanding.
If only one conductor is present then by definition there is no voltage present. The only tester that only needs one pole is a volt stick and we all know about them.
You can test between all conductors in an accessory as no volts and still have a dangerous voltage present. This would be especially likely in a light switch without earth and looped at the rose.
If you want to test you really need to test against all terminals and all exposed metallic items in t vicinity. Imagine touching an earthed radiator at the same time as a live light switch.

This is wrong and a dangerous misunderstanding.
If only one conductor is present then by definition there is no voltage present. The only tester that only needs one pole is a volt stick and we all know about them.
You can test between all conductors in an accessory as no volts and still have a dangerous voltage present. This would be especially likely in a light switch without earth and looped at the rose.
If you want to test you really need to test against all terminals and all exposed metallic items in t vicinity. Imagine touching an earthed radiator at the same time as a live light switch.
suppose that beats the wet finger.

Reply to MFT shows 235V, Drummond tester says dead, no live present in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net