Discuss Middle East Supply / Consumer Units in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi, Have worked in Kuwait a few years ago. In many places there seems to be no particular standard and they will hook up to any supply thats available. 3 phase boards with nail fuses etc with supplies going off in all directions!!! It will depend where you go. The more affluent newer area's will have supplies and equipment similar to either the UK or USA (depending on the country)Places like Kuwait,Jordan, Oman and the UAE tend to be UK type where others like Saudi will be US. Many of the older places have a hit and miss supply system so many people run a generator aswell.

Are you intending to do domestic stuff? I can't speak for that, but if in oil the standards are good especially Dubai and Saudi. Same as ours or the US. And last time I heard, they still use the old proper way, red, yellow, blue...on UK stuff anyhow

I worked all round the Middle East for 8 years. As Wattsup says, in the oil industry the regs are good and structured but in the private sector "watch out". People tend to get hold of whatever they can. There are varying voltages and frequencies, 110/230 & 50/Hz. Allen Bradley is quite common as well as Siemens but you can go to places which are a right F**K up and you would only touch with 1000v gloves on. Earthing is a nightmare. Many places generate there own power tailored to there own needs. One of my jobs was to go and hire "Saudi Electricians" from a place in Riyhad. You used to drive up in a pick up and around 200 Saudis would descend on you. The sparks were identified by a 100W bulb connected to a croc clip with a bit of 2.5mm 2 core and fly lead and a pair of pliers. plumbers had a ball valve and a adjustable.

It is a completely different culture where skills are hired in usually Americans or Europeans and third world nationals are used as unskilled labor. If you are not the tolerant type, do not even think about it, you will have a brain hemorrhage within a week. Never discus religion or politics and never ever lend money to the bloke going on leave back to england. Do not expect a vibrant night life, it can be quite boring and go on a defensive driving course.

Almost forgot. When you go to Bahrain for a blow out, do not lock the hotel manager in a walk in freezer. They tend to get ****ed of, you spend a couple of days in jail and are deported back to Saudi with a nasty red stamp in your passport saying "Never come back" :D

Try 2 bullet holes from Sudan, then you start to think "what the f**k am i doing here. Saying that i kept going back as the money was out of this world but in the end i just had enough of it and came back to green and plesant pastures.

Reply to Middle East Supply / Consumer Units in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net