Discuss Minimum Height Of Conduit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have just finished a job for a customer part of which entailed running 20mm conduit horizontally at 1.75 metres above ground along a vertical railway sleeper type wall at the end of a parking area for their two cars. I have just had an email from the customer saying that they want the conduit rerouting to just above the shingle level of the ground still against the wall. I have said that it would be dangerous as someone could tread on it. Is there any regulation of minimum height of conduit above ground level that I can quote them. I have looked in the onsite guide and all it mentions is cables in conduit and clip spacing. I really don't want to reroute the conduit as it will be a pain to do. Thanks in anticipation.

Hi - I don't think there is a reg on this specifically. It's the really if there is a reasonable expectation that the cable may be damaged over its working life and so safety may be at risk with new conduit height. For me pvc would not seem suitable and I would re-quote to dig and replace with swa :)

Hi - I don't think there is a reg on this specifically. It's the really if there is a reasonable expectation that the cable may be damaged over its working life and so safety may be at risk with new conduit height. For me pvc would not seem suitable and I would re-quote to dig and replace with swa :)
May not be possible to use SWA the OP hasn't told us what circuits are in the conduit, if it's a feed to a shed or socket then yes good idea

Hi Wilko, Yes totally agree with you, the conduit is only carrying a 1mm cable to a light. Have just had another email from the customer asking me to run the conduit along the top of the sleepers and they will pay for the extra time. So I guess a reroute is involved.

May not be possible to use SWA the OP hasn't told us what circuits are in the conduit, if it's a feed to a shed or socket then yes good idea
Hi Pete 999, It only has a 1 mm twin and earth in it to a light. Customer has now asked if I will run the conduit along the top of the sleepers so will do that. All this because they don't like the look of black conduit running along the wall. Thanks for your reply

I too would not like PVC conduit run at eye-level along a wall if there was another less visible option. Especially the way some people install it with no expansion joints and insufficient saddles so it ends up looking like floppy liquorice. It sounds like you have an answer, but don't forget that a black conduit on top of a wall can reach some pretty spectacular temperatures in direct sunlight and this might affect the suitability of the cable.

they want the conduit rerouting to just above the shingle level of the ground still against the wall. I have said that it would be dangerous as someone could tread on it.
I found this an interesting example of the tail wagging the dog, in this case the cable system deciding what the customer can have. If he wants it at low level, I would say 'OK no problem, but there will be a cost implication as it will have to be steel conduit because of the risk of impact.' i.e the customer says what they want and the cable is chosen to suit that. If the budget doesn't permit, that's another matter, but to say something is 'dangerous' on the basis of an unsuitable type of material isn't strictly true.

Hi Pete 999, It only has a 1 mm twin and earth in it to a light. Customer has now asked if I will run the conduit along the top of the sleepers so will do that. All this because they don't like the look of black conduit running along the wall. Thanks for your reply
Maybe they don't like it Rich but liking and being safe are two different things, did you not discuss the run prior to the installation? I used to always tell the customer where I was going to run whatever prior to doing it.

Maybe they don't like it Rich but liking and being safe are two different things, did you not discuss the run prior to the installation? I used to always tell the customer where I was going to run whatever prior to doing it.
Yes I did tell them and explained that it was the easiest route but when they saw it they were not so sure. At the end of the day it is a black tube running along a black wooden wall in a parking area at the bottom of their garden. It will now go along the top of the wall. Thanks for all your replies very helpful.

Yes I did tell them and explained that it was the easiest route but when they saw it they were not so sure. At the end of the day it is a black tube running along a black wooden wall in a parking area at the bottom of their garden. It will now go along the top of the wall. Thanks for all your replies very helpful.
Good luck then Rich

Reply to Minimum Height Of Conduit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net