uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Minor Works Certificates - Multiple Jobs? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
Replacing lights or socket faceplates etc, no cert required
Good to know that I'm not the only one who doesn't issue certs for replacing a light or socket faceplate. Some issue a cert for replacing a plastic light switch which is ridiculous in my opinion. Perhaps some think a house owner will issue themselves with a minor works cert when they replace a plastic light switch😀.

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Minor works cert regardless of being needed or not seems to keep some customers happy...costs nothing and takes 2 mins 😁

FatAlan

-
Trainee
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Must admit if you replace a socket or light the bare minimum you would at least do is Zs. It does then open the can of worms that a vast number of domestic lighting circuits won’t be RCD protected. Would this have to be seen as a departure on the MWC if not should you refuse to do the work unless RCD is added? Will go down like a ton of lead with customers.

The guidance in the OSG is that MEIW certs are for alterations and additions where the circuit characteristics are likely to have been altered. The wording in the BBB is '...may be used for the replacement of equipment...', I take the word 'may' literally, ie only expressing possibility.

This leads me to conclude that I don't need to issue a cert for replacing a light or socket, which is convenient for me as I detest paperwork in all its forms.

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
Must admit if you replace a socket or light the bare minimum you would at least do is Zs. It does then open the can of worms that a vast number of domestic lighting circuits won’t be RCD protected. Would this have to be seen as a departure on the MWC if not should you refuse to do the work unless RCD is added? Will go down like a ton of lead with customers.
Not done my 18th, but I do recall reading someone saying guidance from the Schemes suggest the new reg for RCD protection on lighting circuits, does not apply to installation of luminaries to existing fixed wiring, i.e. replacing ceiling rose with new luminarie.

Reply to Minor Works Certificates - Multiple Jobs? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
Top Bottom