Currently reading:
most reliable rcd to convert this consumer unit?

Discuss most reliable rcd to convert this consumer unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
salutations

thinking of converting this with a main rcd over individual rcbo's as theres two spare ways

they have specified only the socket circuits to be rcd protected however....

are the screwfix cheapies reliable?

also is it possible to buy a mcb cover for the mighty proteus anymore?

thanks for your time

IMG_0527.JPG

Normally i would fit a new consumer unit however it being metal clad & glanded in also a finished refurbishment it seems overkill.(famous last words)

I wouldn't want to create more costs for the client that could ultimately hire someone cheaper

is hager a like for like replacement?

Normally i would fit a new consumer unit however it being metal clad & glanded in also a finished refurbishment it seems overkill.(famous last words)

I wouldn't want to create more costs for the client that could ultimately hire someone cheaper

is hager a like for like replacement?

No Hager is not a like for like replacement and you should not mix and match brands and patterns anyway.

If the client won't pay for a proper job that's hardly your fault or problem. I would argue it's not a finished refurb if electrical work is still required. I really don;t see any issues with changing the above unit from the provided picture though.

If you need to add RCD protection to some circuits but don't want to swap the CU, provide an alternative way of doing this external to the CU.

Agree with @telectrix fit Proteus RCBO's to whatever circuits require RCD protection. Looks like loads of space in that consumer unit for them

If customer doesn't like the cost walk away, don't cut corners and become the cowboy.

I've fitted quite a bit of proteus in domestics and while it's nowhere near the best properly fitted it's just as reliable as anything else.I cant recall a single instance of a failed component on one I've installed. I'd fit it over Hager with it's junk busbar arrangement all day.
The industrial stuff is best avoided though.

By the time you buy an RCCB or RCBO's you are not a million miles off buying a populated board from someone like BG or Wylex.

I have to agree with Andy78 and say there is no point doing a job for the sake of it. Spec it appropriately and quote your labour! If someone wants to get it done cheaper then that is up to you, but do it properly! For your piece of mind at the very least!!

By the time you buy an RCCB or RCBO's you are not a million miles off buying a populated board from someone like BG or Wylex.

I have to agree with Andy78 and say there is no point doing a job for the sake of it. Spec it appropriately and quote your labour! If someone wants to get it done cheaper then that is up to you, but do it properly! For your piece of mind at the very least!!

I've not used BG.....but Wylex! Absolutely pants. A busbar designed to make it likely that mcb's are not properly clamped, and the whole assembly moves on the din rail during installation without you realising.....until you try and fit the lid.

I may get shot down but if I am working on an old board and need parts to match I discuss with the client and then buy them second hand from eBay. I had a proteus board recently with a burnt out RCD, incorrectly sized MCB and damaged isolator, By the time I had replaced the damaged RCD, broken main isolator and 3 x MCB's the customer could have bought a new board (it was an earlier series than the current ones which CEF stock), they just didn't want to pay to have a new board fitted. In my mind it was a false economy but thats what they wanted, they are happy.

Reply to most reliable rcd to convert this consumer unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back