Currently reading:
most reliable rcd to convert this consumer unit?

Discuss most reliable rcd to convert this consumer unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
salutations

thinking of converting this with a main rcd over individual rcbo's as theres two spare ways

they have specified only the socket circuits to be rcd protected however....

are the screwfix cheapies reliable?

also is it possible to buy a mcb cover for the mighty proteus anymore?

thanks for your time

IMG_0527.JPG

I may get shot down but if I am working on an old board and need parts to match I discuss with the client and then buy them second hand from eBay. I had a proteus board recently with a burnt out RCD, incorrectly sized MCB and damaged isolator, By the time I had replaced the damaged RCD, broken main isolator and 3 x MCB's the customer could have bought a new board (it was an earlier series than the current ones which CEF stock), they just didn't want to pay to have a new board fitted. In my mind it was a false economy but thats what they wanted, they are happy.
You should go very careful buying vital protective components from ebay, how do you know they are not copies, re-labelled or damaged/tampered with internally and potentially dangerous?

You should go very careful buying vital protective components from ebay, how do you know they are not copies, re-labelled or damaged/tampered with internally and potentially dangerous?
I think you have to take a sensible approach and ask would someone really be producing a no longer produced MCB/RCD, I use commercial sellers who are reselling materials which have been pulled out of installations. It is a once in a blue moon situation but personally I would rather take my chance with a second hand original equipment component rather than be putting in mismatched MCB's or RCD's. I have put in brand new components which have failed within 24 hours and were potentially dangerous.

I've used the Wylex fixed busbar CU's, thought they better than most? See Rexel are now trying to sell BG CU's in my local wholesalers. I'll draw the line there though.
what's wrong with BG? I've used loads and had no problems.

what's wrong with BG? I've used loads and had no problems.

I've had multiple failures of RCDs or MCBs Tel. Either trip times not being met or cage clamps failing to tighten.
Also their little garage or shower board (can't remember which) has a stupidly shaped metal pre-formed back that can make it a tawt to position a locknut.

They are sturdy units though!

I like the BG CU's actually feels like they have some weight and build quality to them, had a failed MCB though for a job I did for a mate 40 miles away which didn't impress!

That's one of the main issues I have with BG boards now, it's a complete false economy when you have to revisit to replace parts that should not have passed quality control in the first place.

Quality control is random selection and does not guarantee faulty items are identified.

Fair enough WW. Maybe BG should increase their sample rate then. I think I had a failure of one component on each of the last 3 or 4 boards I fitted before I stopped using them.

Unless the product is high end most QC is random selection so they may select a sample from every 100 and run tests, if it fails the previous 99 are removed for analysis.

Don't forget that some tests may be destructive, so testing every product would be impossible!

I know very little about QC procedures, but surely each RCD should be checked to ensure it trips within the 15-30mA range that is the permitted tolerance of these products I believe.
Also, ensuring that the both the cage clamps and their screws are not made of some sheet malleable alloy is not beyond their capability.
Both the above should not be destructive I would imagine.

The reason it is not recommended to mix and match components in CUs, is because of 'type testing'.
As it stands this Proteus CU has a withstand capability of 16kA.
If you install one non-Proteus component the withstand capability will be that of the lowest rated component.
Obviously, we don't know the PFC at the CU, but if it is higher than the rating of any of the components, the board will no longer comply.

Reply to most reliable rcd to convert this consumer unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back